TV's "How It's Made": Electric Guitar Amplifiers

JJman

Science Channel- 8pm eastern Sunday 10/25.

Warning: This episode contains ribbon cables, robotic component insertion and wave soldering. Viewer discretion is advised.

phsyconoodler

In Canada they showed a 'How it's made' program showing the making of a Traynor YCV40 amp.The PCB is never touched by human hands.It's bolted into a chassis and a guy hooks up the push on connectors and inserts the tubes,but the main board is 100% robot assembled.
It's fascinating but ugly at the same time.
Then some guy plugs in and gets this hideous tone!You think they would at least get a better recording for the test!
I HATE PCB's!

mark norwine

"How it's made" is a cool show, but very often the eposides are not about "how something is "made"...but rather "How it's Assembled" which, to me, is not nearly as interesting. The amp episode was one such example.

Episodes on, say, "how glass is made"....that was cool!

googoobaby

They have an electric guitar episode with Godin that's quite interesting. Also a pedal steel guitar one.

I've seen several of these and often ask myself "where is OSHA?". Some of the unsafe practices are frightening, and then to have someone film and broadcast them!

Prairie Dawg

"How it's made" is a cool show, but very often the eposides are not about "how something is "made"...but rather "How it's Assembled" which, to me, is not nearly as interesting. The amp episode was one such example.

Episodes on, say, "how glass is made"....that was cool!

It's a pretty good show. I'd make it mandatory watching for people who say "We're a post manufacturing society-we don't make things." I don't know about you, but ever since I was a little tyke I knew people somewhere make stuff and it all comes from somewhere, and I wanted to know where that somewhere was and become a citizen.

In fact I would go a step farther and say that manufacturing-taking material, working it up, and supplying it to people-that's what adds real wealth to a society. Moving paper and suing people and betting that they won't die with an army of actuaries officiating? That's just redistributing what already exists. All of it depends ultimately on somebody making or growing something and then getting out there and selling it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom