1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Tweakable overdrive pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hayashi, Oct 13, 2006.

1. hayashi

hayashi Member

I'm looking for that last pedal to add to my rig. Looking for a low/mid gain overdrive pedal to give a little dirt to my clean chords.

I use a Fender Strat, with Kinman woodstock pickups, through a 50 watt Marshall 1987x. V30 cabinet. Looking for a smoother tone rather than a more brittle tone, but I'm not looking for smooth as silk.

I'm looking for an overdrive that has more controls than the usual tone, volume, gain set up to match the rest of my rig, preferable one with treble, mid and bass control. Would also like it if the pedal didn't take too much pedalboard space, and could use a regular boss adapter. I don't use batteries. Price range up to $250.

I've checked out the Barber products, but I'm put off my the internal pots. I've looked at the MI Audio Blue Boy, Tube Zone.

The Fulltone Distortion Pro is a bit too heavy for my application.

Can anyone suggest any other tweakble pedals or vouch for the ones above? Thanks!

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

For small distortion pedals, try an Xotic BB Preamp pedal. I just tried one the other day, and I liked the tone. Not brittle - smooth, and capable of good bass response. Lot's of gain on tap, but variable.

I alway use my Radial Tone Bone Classic - very versitile as to gain and EQ. However, it probably is too big if you have limited real estate on your pedal board.

I also like the Hermida Audio Zendrive, but those are hard to get, as testified by many on the The Gear Page.

The Keeley modded TS-808 sounds very good, too. I use mine a lot.

Of course, there are millions of opinions about Distortion pedals on TGP...

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like you need a FoxRox ZIM!

4. Matt F

Matt F Member

How about a Foxrox Elecrtonics Zim?

You can swap cards out of it as well.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

[​IMG]
    How's that look? It's got a tube in it and is $169... LINK w/ clips.

6. autopilot

autopilot Member

Did you say Tweakable?? (Havent tried)
    [​IMG]http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e60278048

7. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

What about any of the tonebone products?
    Though I must say, the Barber Small Fry even once setting the internal pots is pretty darn versatile. The dynamics knob is great.

8. erksin

erksin Member

Timmy (excellent EQ, swappable opamps, clipping switches)
    AC Booster (not as nice as the Timmy, IMO but a good box)

The Blue Boy is a killer pedal, IMO - very hard to go wrong with that one.

9. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

That Tube Machine uses a starved plate design tube setup...Nothing more than color.

How about this discontinued Siegmund Microtube Overdrive?
    [​IMG]
    Get it here for $195

Uses a microtube...full voltage, not starved plate. Gain, Treble, Bass, Volume. Bright switch. Very rare! I recommend grabbing this while you can. He only makes the MicroTube DoubleDrive and Missing Link now. I've got his Missing Link, and a DD on order. Great sounding pedals! The guy makes amps and guitars for a living, he definately knows how to make a good overdrive pedal.

10. chuck

chuck Member

Check out a Fetto

11. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Another vote for the Tonebone Classic. It meets the description of what you're looking for to a tee. Downsides are size and wall-wart.

12. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Timmy
    Red Snapper
    Catcus Crunch
    Pure Drive

13. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I found the Tone Bone problematic. The tube doesn't actually do much. I tried AU7, AY7, AT7 and AX7 with about the same results from all. It also had a distinctive pinched midrange that would not go away. It also didn't do the low gain thing very well. Good at higher gain settings though, if that's what you want. At the time I was using a Reverend Drivetrain and it sounded beter so I sold the Tone Bone Classic. I am currently using an Analogman King of Tone, version 4. It only has a tone knob but this pedal doesn't need more. It's very balanced tonally and sounds more natural than any other pedal I've ever tried.

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Timmy-at the price it's unbeatable. Great EQ, compresssion/clipping options with the DIP switches, and it can be smoother sounding via an op-amp swap (try a JRC4558P).

Pro Analog Dirt Royale-like the Klon this one works best with a slightly clipping amp but with the feed control, pull phaze, and the cheese switch there are actually a lot of overdrive flavours and it's quite small for a two button pedal. It does take a bit of tweaking though as the controls are quite interactive but that's the secret to the versatility too.

I'd also second the King of Tone. It didn't work that well with my Vox, but it's a great pedal with Marshalls and Fenders. The Yellow channel gain is perfectly structured to tread the line between boost and overdrive and the Red channel has a great crunchy character.

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The MI Audio Tube Zone is the most tweakable of the majority of the pedals mentioned so far. And it has a very amp-like tone.

16. jgyn

jgyn Member

Throbak ODB Overdrive/Booster.

17. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

Don't have the other 2 but the Timmy & Cactus Crunch work for me.:AOK
    Both have very responsive tone controls & are very versatile.

18. hayashi

hayashi Member

Thanks for all your help guys. I've done research on all the pedals mentioned here and it came down to the MI Audio Blue Boy or the Paul Cochrane Timmy pedal (the Cactus Crunch or Xotic BB Preamp seem to be exactly like this pedal though).

The other pedals were either too big, too expensive, didn't have the right power supply, or not tweakbable.

What gets me is the lack of mid control on the Timmy. The Blue Boy seems to have the tweakablility I need, the size, the power requirements and the price. But Timmy seems to be well regarded here. Anyone have any swaying words either way for either of these pedals? Is the price of the Blue Boy making me think it's not that good of a pedal?

19. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I tried the Cactus Crunch on the weekend. Nice Pedal but not really like the Timmy. I've also tried the BB-totally different. Don't be swayed by the fact they may look similar and all have 4 knobs that have similar names! I haven't found anything with EQ that works like the TIM/Timmy pedals.

I haven't used the Blue Boy so I can't comment on that one.