Tweaker 40....3rd bad transformer

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Fej180, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Fej180

Fej180 Member

Hi guys I am new here. I seen some posts dating back a bit with people discussing the Egnator Tweaker 40 and the transformer issue. Here is my experience and I'm hoping I might be able to get some guidance.

I bought my Tweaker on eBay in 9/2013. When I first powered it on the power light flashed as the fuse blew. I returned it to the sender who ran a repair shop and he fixed it and returned it to me at no charge. He never told me what he did despite me asking, but I'm assuming he replaced the transformer. 3 months later I was playing the guitar at church and between services (Christmas service none the less) the transformer blew again. This time I took it to my local repair shop and he replaced the transformer and installed a fan.

Since then the amp has worked fine with no issues up until about 2 weeks ago it quit on me again between church services. Luckily there was a back up amp there.

A few days prior to it breaking I had picked up a Fractal AX8 and am planning to sell the Tweaker and other gear to help cover the cost of the AX8. I can't sell it in this condition, so I need to get it fixed. In other threads, I read people reporting that it is ok to purchase a Egnator transformer now because they must have just had a bad run on them but any new ones would be ok. Well I don't know that to be the case. I have had 3 transformers fail and as far as I know they were all Egnator transformers.

So my question is this, what are my chances of getting Egnator to cover the cost of this amps 4th transformer?

2. Fej180

Fej180 Member

Thanks for the reply. Do you think its worth a call to see if they will do anything or a lost cause?

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Yea, give them a call..

4. Dan40

Dan40 Supporting Member

Have you checked to be sure that you don't have a bad tube this time, that may or may not have taken out a fuse? Could be a simple fix.

5. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

If I may, you do not know you had 3 transformers fail. You said you sent it back after you bought it and 'presumed' you got one. You probably didn't... You probably got back an amp with a new fuse, maybe rated higher. A new transformer would have been a pretty big deal and the dude would have been glowing to tell you it was replaced. And this latest failure you are assuming is a bad transformer.

Is the main power fuse actually blown???

6. Fej180

Fej180 Member

Thanks for your replies.

Yes I bought a new pair of 6L6 tubes and tried them and they did not fix the issue.

True, I do not know what the original issue was with the amp when I first received it. I think it is logical to assume a PT failure given the history of the amps and since it had the same symptoms as I experienced multiple times now. And also true that I am assuming this latest issue to be the PT as well. What I do know is that the second time the amp failed I had the exact same symptoms as this current time and it was a PT transformer. I checked the fuse on the back panel originally and it looked fine and had continuity. I forgot that there is an extra fuse in the power plug outlet so I will check that tonight and update. I expect it is blown.

7. Fej180

Fej180 Member

Kyle B - So I checked the fuse in the electrical socket and that fuse is indeed blown. I don't have an extra one to put in to try it, but knowing now that it is blown what do you think the cause may be?

8. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

The 'extra' fuse is a spare....it's not actually in the circuit. I believe a bad OT usually shows as a blown fuse (which you say you don't have). Do none of the lights turn on?

9. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

I'd ask which fuse exactly we're talking about.... The 'spare' should be good. Unless it's the spare you first checked.....It lends creedence that tech #1 didn't do anything but change the fuse.....Fuses are cheap...try a new one! Just ensure it's rated properly. Fuses sometimes nuisance blow due to surges at power on....they are quite delicate really. One time, maybe it was a bad fuse. Twice, we start looking deeper....

NortheastHick likes this.
  10. Fej180

Fej180 Member

Ok so let me clarify and thanks for the help. There is a fuse on the back panel. That fuse is fine. There is also a fuse "slot" if you will in the electrical plug connector. In their there *should* be 2 fuses. I only have one in mine and it is blown. I know what your saying about the tech #1 only changing the fuse but if my memory is correct I remember trying multiple fuses on the very first night I got it and they kept blowing. But I will get a few fuses and try to turn it on and see what happens. If only there were a radio shack near by....

11. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Sometimes the receptacles with two fuses in the connector has one in the circuit and the second as a spare.

It would be worth calling Egnater to discuss the issue, if they had a bad run of transformers they might want to repair the amp even though it is used and previously repaired.

12. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Can you read the printing on the fuses you have??? I'm really curious if tech #1 put one in that's rated for a higher holding current than he should have...

BTW - What are the symptoms now... Are the lights coming on at all???

I seem to recall when I got my (used) Tweaker 40, there was something wonky with the voltage selector 'switch' (the 110/220 option). I don't remember exactly... I fix ALOTTA stuff so details get forgotten ... but I recall there was something 'off' about it. Maybe that's the problem, and not the PT. Try wiggling or cycling it just for laughs.

A competent tech could diagnose whether or not this is a real PT failure fairly quickly. You can't do it by sight/sound/smell/taste ... You gotta get inside with a voltage probe.

Blowing fuses are commonly caused by a shorted power tube BTW. There's alot more in the chain besides the PT.

13. Fej180

Fej180 Member

There are no lights...sorry I thought I answered that last time but I forgot to.

The good fuse is 500mA 250V

The blown fuse is 4A 250V

14. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Well 4A is 8x 500mA and it's grossly wrong .... so again points towards the original "tech" boning you with a bigger fuse.

You can see through the amp to the transformers. Does the PT actually say "Egnater" on it? Mine has a Mercury Magnetics PT, and their logo is clearly visible w/o disassembly. It would really suck to blow a replacement PT. Egnater famously is/was not honoring that rash of bad PT's, but if you had TWO of them, you might be able to talk them into a new one. First step still is verify it's actually bad. Aside from wiggling the few things you can wiggle, it really does need to be probed internally to verify.

You don't live near Western New York by chance, do you????

15. Fej180

Fej180 Member

Well what is the fuse supposed to be? I just went to the store and bought a 3A and 5A since they didn't have a 4 haha. I'll look at the PT when I get back. No I live near Chicago

16. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Never never never never use the incorrect fuse!!!!
    There's actually two places for fuses. None of them match what you have.

There's one that's labeled "250mA Fast Blow" and there's one (or more) in the drawer inside the power inlet... that should be 1.6A slo-blow.

They are labeled clearly on the back of the amp. No reason to guess at it!

EDIT: I just found this: http://www.egnateramps.com/manuals/Tweaker40.pdf which shows different values than this picture. You should check whats printed on your amp.
    [​IMG]

17. Fej180

Fej180 Member

18. Fej180

Fej180 Member

Ok I put the 3A fuse in it. Turned it on and the fuse blew in about 1 second.

19. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Remove all tubes, try again. If it continues, you're into needing a repair of some nature. Sorry!

20. Fej180

Fej180 Member

I will have to pick up some more 3A fuses on my way home this afternoon and try it without the tubes. Thanks again. I will update ASAP