Tweaker 40....3rd bad transformer

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Fej180, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Fej180

Fej180 Member

Ok I bought 2 new 3A fuses and put them in the amp with all tubes removed. It powered on for a second and blew the fuse again.

2. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

tech time....or new amp time.... Does sound more like a PT.....I'd seriously call Egnater. Aren't they in Chicago just like you?

3. Fej180

Fej180 Member

Their website says they are in CA. What else could it be besides the transformer? I mean, I'm sure it could be many things...but given the history of the Egnator Tweaker 40, don't you think its a very high likelihood of being the transformer?

4. Oatie

Oatie Member

It could be a bad screen grid resistor, are they carbon comp? If so use a chop stick to see if one has broken in half. I have seen this before.

5. Fej180

Fej180 Member

I don't know what you mean... Sorry.

6. pdf64

pdf64 Member

That certainly happens but I don't see that in itself, it would blow a fuse.
    If totally open circuit, that tube would 'switch off' and the amp would exhibit the relevant symptoms, eg hum at idle, sound bad other than at low volume.
    If the break resulted in an intermittent current flow, there would be a fizzle and the above symptoms would accompany the open circuit condition.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017