Tweaker 40 combo nightmare no more!

dlc1953

Well so I buy a Tweaker 40 c from GC used section. Have it for about 2 weeks and the thing shut's down. I take it to my usual Amp guy and he traces it down to a bad Transformer. So I bought GC extended warranty so figured it would cover it. Have it in the shop for a month and today they tell me the fix's cost more than they will spend on it!! They want to replace it with another used Tweaker. Which will probably end up with the same issue! I re-tubed and biased the Amp complete a few day's after I bought it so I'll be out that money. And have to do it again on the new one. Man I like what the Amp sounds like when it's working but may just take a refund and buy something else!!! GC no more for me!!!

Last edited:

((TechnicolorSkyline))

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Tweaker 40 head that I bought new and had nothing but problems with it. Sounded great, but couldn't keep it up and running for more than a couple weeks at a time. Exchanged it twice for another brand spanking new Tweaker 40 head, same problems. After the third I opted for a refund. Super cheap and great sounding little amp, but not worth the trouble.

dlc1953

I had a Tweaker 40 head that I bought new and had nothing but problems with it. Sounded great, but couldn't keep it up and running for more than a couple weeks at a time. Exchanged it twice for another brand spanking new Tweaker 40 head, same problems. After the third I opted for a refund. Super cheap and great sounding little amp, but not worth the trouble.
Geez I was just gettin ready to post,if anyone new if the Head's were more reliable than the Combo's!!! They got a few in the used GC section now,was thinking of going that route because I have a 1x12 and a 2x12 cabinet. Guess not!

Fatherflot

I had a Tweaker 15 combo that was nothing but trouble. Burned out about 6 sets of power tubes, including some expensive NOS tubes (actually cracked the base on a pair of Ken-Rads). Sent it back to Egnater at my own expense and they claimed it was completely fixed. But it did the exact same thing when it came back. I was also very disappointed with the flimsy construction of the cab, which did not hold up to frequent openings necessitated by constantly burning-out power tubes.

Last edited:

Dale

Wow! I hate to jink myself, but i have a Tweaker 15 and it has never had an issue.

dlc1953

Has anyone had this experience where you pay for ex coverage and then GC tell's you the repair is more than the Amp is worth and they won't pay!! It's worth the price to me ,it's not there decision it seem's like to me!

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Wow! I got a new Tweaker 40H head about 8 months ago and haven't had any issues with it, and that's playing it on a almost daily basis! Before I bought it I read up on it and knew that there was a possibility of transformer issues, but I got such a fantastic bargain that I figured that even if I had to replace the transformer it would still be a bargain. I guess I just got lucky! If it were me I'd throw a Mercury Magnetics transformer in it and keep on getting up, but that's just me. Best of luck to ya!

harpinon

Wow! I hate to jink myself, but i have a Tweaker 15 and it has never had an issue.
Those Tweakers are really hit and miss. I have a 40 and a 15. Not one issue evar.
I have heard a ton of people with problems.
I would trust an older one with a proven track record.

Many of these new Chinese made amps are troublesome.
same goes for the new Marshalls. Hit and miss.

talbotpat

If you are within 30 days, return it for store credit. I did that with a used Tweaker 40 head that blew a PT. I bought a new one...with 3 year warranty, and it's been fine, but I could have just as easily used the credit toward a Fender or VOX. Take it back...and get credit...that's my advice. Oh yeah...and swap your new tubes out of that thing before you return it.

tshall

I've been using Tweakers for a few years now, and have been happy with them, but I had a bad week. My Tweaker 40's standby switch stopped working, and then the channel switch stopped working at the soundcheck Thursday! I thought it was the footswitch, or the cable from the pedalboard, but I tried two separate cables and the channel switch on the head was not working; or changing channels itself. I used the 15 that I carry for backup for the set, but it was one more last minute hassle, and I had to get overdrive from the board rather than using the amp's second channel. I'm taking the 40 to the tech next week - it just got a new fuse and retube last month, and I'm not thrilled about putting more money into it, but they've been great other than these problems.

Rant over, carry on.

dlc1953

I've been using Tweakers for a few years now, and have been happy with them, but I had a bad week. My Tweaker 40's standby switch stopped working, and then the channel switch stopped working at the soundcheck Thursday! I thought it was the footswitch, or the cable from the pedalboard, but I tried two separate cables and the channel switch on the head was not working; or changing channels itself. I used the 15 that I carry for backup for the set, but it was one more last minute hassle, and I had to get overdrive from the board rather than using the amp's second channel. I'm taking the 40 to the tech next week - it just got a new fuse and retube last month, and I'm not thrilled about putting more money into it, but they've been great other than these problems.

Rant over, carry on.
Man! Not good!!!

sshan25

Supporting Member
The word is "jinx" not "jink" and every word ending in the letter s does not require an apostrophe. Sorry. I ran out of patience.

techalan

No problems with my 40 combo. I've heard of some people having transformer issues. It's for sale on here if anyone is looking.

motokev

I learned a long time ago, you get what you pay for. If the amp is cheaply priced (i.e. made in China or India), stay away.

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
I learned a long time ago, you get what you pay for. If the amp is cheaply priced (i.e. made in China or India), stay away.
This is wrong, it is not the country of mfg that causes components to fail. I have owned every Egnater model but the Tweaker 88 and just bought the Renegade on TGP that had transformer issues, but I took it to Egnater for the repair and got free tube sockets and a price break on the transformer.

dlc1953

Read your extended warranty agreement. They are doing what they stated they would do if there were problems with the amp. They will repair or replace the amp within a certain period of time. You can't expect them to pay to repair the amp if that will exceed what they sold it to you for. Swap the tubes and get your money back.
Egnater had a batch of these amps (when they were first released) that had bad transformers in them. They failed prematurely. Especially if the user is connecting mismatched speaker loads.
You posted in another thread that you were aware of the potential transformer problems with this amp, but bought it anyway because the amp price was so cheap. You stated you'd still be able to get the transformer replaced and still be $ ahead.
So, why is this a "nightmare" ?
The bill from Aviator was $300.00 Dude hardly greater than the worth of the Amp, and 2 week's was not what anyone would foresee!

Trending Topics