Tweaker Tone Stacks?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by guitars4god86, Feb 21, 2012.

1. guitars4god86

guitars4god86 Member

Apologies if this has been covered already somewhere on the site...

But does anyone know any details on the tone stacks inside the Tweaker?

Any info is appreciated - thanks!

2. guitars4god86

guitars4god86 Member

Wow...I guess it's an Egnater secret... :)

3. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

My guess is that the "American" on is based on the blackface Fender tonestack and the Vox one is based on the AC30:

http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

This is a cute little program. It has the values of your typical Marshall, Vox and Fender amps as "default" and you can plug in other values and see how it would effect the frequency response curve.

4. guitars4god86

guitars4god86 Member

That does look like a pretty sweet program.

Do you have any idea what the Tweaker does straight outta the box when you switch tone stacks? Besides the obvious sound changes? I guess I don't really understand what "tone stacks" are completely - so I'm interested in learning what actually changes on the inside and what the frequency curves look like accordingly...

5. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Basically the tone stack design shapes the voice of the amp like an EQ. It defines the sweep of frequency range of the tone controls. It a little more complicated because what it attenuates or amplifies changes with gain. I think Egnater just has a switch between 3 common vintage amp tone stack va tlues. Sort of an effort to give the consumer 3 amps in one. But there are other factors that make a Vox a Vox and a Fender a Fender of course.

6. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

I looked at some gut shots and didn't see any relays, so I'm guessing he's just changing slope resistor values, and maybe a tone cap value. Not sure what's going on to get a top-boost style tonestack. Maybe just aiming for an approximation of the curve without duplicating the actual circuit.