Tweaking vs playing time?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Mr. Brady, Sep 4, 2019.

Which is your primary modeler and how much time in a typical hour of playing do you spend tweaking.

1. Fractal user/Less than 15 minutes

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. Fractal user/15-30 minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fractal user/30 or more minutes

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Line 6 user/Less than 15 minutes

31 vote(s)
    44.9%
  5. Line 6 user/15-30 minutes

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  6. Line 6 user/30 or more minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kemper user/Less than 15 minutes

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  8. Kemper user/15-30 minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Kemper user/30 or more minutes

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. Other modeler/See my post.

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mr. Brady

Mr. Brady Member

Say you have a typical hour to sit down and play guitar. How much of that time is spent tweaking your set up? Since I'm asking this in the digital modeling section I'm going to ask specifically about the modelers you use.

Once I get a preset built to how I like it, I'm rarely touching any thing on it other than master volume. I've currently use an AxII. I'd say I've spent less than a minute per hour of playing over the lifetime that I've had the unit. This really doesn't change for me across modelers much. With my Atomic A3, It's about the same. Same when I had a line 6 HD500.

Seems that the editing UI issue is often thrown around here a lot, wonder how much it really matters?

mdubya likes this.
  2. mdubya

mdubya Member

AX8. Very little tweaking time, if any at all. I have more tones and options at my finger tips than I ever imagined. And I play more because of that. And now I only buy guitars.

ETA: while the UI is not particularly user friendly on the AX8, great tones were there from the get go. 2.5 years in, I use the onboard UI exclusively and can edit and tweak at will. Monitoring was my biggest hurdle. Happy with a powered XiTone and with Presonus e4.5 monitors now. I also run straight into my 2204 and Champ, usually split with one of the monitor options.

3. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I voted - but it's an interesting question.

I have presets that are "done" that I plug in and play. However, I always have a running list of amps that I want to build a preset around. There are 44 unique amps in the Helix. They're all great amps in their own right. I've heard most of them live - and know they sound great. To that point I'm always interested in getting "classic tones" from those amps. To that end, I tweak - but when I need to prepare a song list I don't tweak in place of playing. Also - different guitars/amps inspire different genres of playing - so I see it as a way to broaden my skills.

4. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

I doubt you are going to get reflective numbers. I'd imagine most are like yourself, where you build it and forget about it. Most of the labor of tweaking is on the front end, but once you're done, I'd doubt people go back and adjust to any extended length. So I'd figure the poll will say that no one is tweaking. But who knows, could be wrong.

That said, it's an interesting question of UI importance if most people operate that way and never have to interface it too much after the initial build up.

5. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I consider them two separate things.

I don't tweak during my playing time, and I don't practice playing during my preset building time.

For most gigs, my process works like this:
    1. Spend time learning the music first. Sometimes this is unplugged, sometimes into a practice amp, and sometimes into a bare-bones pre-built digital preset.
    2. After I'm comfortable with the material, I note all of the tones I'm going to need, and all of the changes I'll need to make.
    3. Think about what equipment is going to work best to get me what I need
    4. Spend time building out my digital rig with the sounds needed for the gig
    5. Practice running through the material with the digital rig I built to make sure levels, switching, and such are all working as needed

haslar and dmock66 like this.
  6. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

The poll should have more than one option for people who have more than one modeler.

yeatzee likes this.
  7. burningyen

burningyen Member

Helix user, I voted 15-30 minutes. Not because it's hard to dial in, but because (sadly) I hardly do any actual practice these days. When I get the Helix out of the bag, it's usually to prep a new song for my tribute band, which largely involves getting the tones and controls set up.

mbenigni likes this.
  8. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I'm betting that most who use their modeler regularly are going to be the less than 15 camp. I think a lot of the opinions that get posted around about all these devices needing so much tweaking are the user's experience right after they plug it in for the first time. They're overwhelmed by all the options and go on internet forums to expound about how they can't get good tones without tweaking for hours. Then they either sink (return/sell) or swim (dig in and learn).

I know it took me a few months to fully grasp all the controls available to me on the Helix and feel confident it's set up correctly. Most of my presets are pretty much set in stone at this point. If I tweak anything at all while I'm playing it's just to switch out an IR for variety and occasionally to match levels between patches if I hear one is slightly off from the others. Any real "tweaking" is only when I'm creating a new patch.

9. Ejay

Ejay Member

I dont think i even get to 1 minute per hour on average...this poll needs a <5 min option!

Watt McCo likes this.
  10. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

In a typical hour of playing time I don't do any tweaking. I make a new preset every once in a while, but I don't usually go back and tweak any of them. I spend 15 to 20 minutes making a preset maybe once a month, and I spend a little time trying out new things after an update, but other than that I just play. I'm an HX Stomp user.

11. gzii

gzii Member

Helix, maybe 5 minutes tweaking for 10 hours playing, or less.
    And sometimes it is to try other amps/effets with a new preset.

12. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

I tweak very little, but when I do tweak . . . any annoyance with the tweaking process is really, really, REALLY aggravating, even if the tweaking process itself only lasts for 30 seconds.

MojoRisin likes this.
  13. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

[​IMG]

14. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

I have my line 6 dialed in and setup on presets, I don’t even mess with it anymore.

buddaman71 likes this.
  15. primemover12

primemover12 Member

Like others have said, I don't really do them in the same sitting. If I'm sitting down to play--whether to practice or to record--I'm there for that purpose. I have a basic set of patches in ReValver 4, Spark, Amplitube, and S-Gear that I use for practice or recording. Then, once I've recorded a track, I'll go back and tweak patches. One of the real glories of ITB amp modeling is not having to be married to the tone you had when you first recorded a track.

The only time I do much tweaking while I'm holding a guitar is if I'm purely playing for pleasure and looking for interesting combinations that might inspire some fun idea.

16. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

There should have been an option for 5 minutes or less. Most of the time I probably tweak maybe a minute or two at the start of a playing/practice session. Maybe a minute or two in an hour of playing. I typically spend way more time double-checking my tuning than I do tweaking the one...and all my guitars hold their tuning really well.

+1 I mostly tweak if I'm looking for new noises/tones or if I have a new rig I'm testing out.

17. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

This ^

Kemper is just an amp for me with some spring reverb when I use it so tweaking is basically zero apart from just choosing profiles to add to a performance. Helix is hours of tweaking when I'm building a patch, but once the templates done its only a couple minutes here and there as I mess with effect settings and whatnot. I've easily spent full weeks worth of time tweaking the Helix though to get where I'm at now.

buddaman71 likes this.
  18. RayRay

RayRay Gold Supporting Member

Had fractal and Kemper. The amount of time I spent tweaking was considerable. Now I have an amp, a couple of cabs, and a few pedals. I've been playing SO MUCH more. Much more musical stuff too. Not just "tweak then play to see what it sounds like then tweak some more"

Love it. Don't miss digital.

19. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

I have what I call a "five-minute rig" that is designed to take advantage of those little (five-minute) blocks of time that come up in a family man's life. The idea is, one power switch and boom! I'm playing at home volume. That rig is built around a Line6 modeler. I can play, play, for five minutes (or more) without tweakage. And I do it, by George.

Bob

PBGas likes this.
  20. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

This makes me sad, RayRay. You loved the Kemper so much!

RayRay likes this.