Tweed 5E3,stock or mods?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by go7, Feb 2, 2008.

1. go7

go7 Member

Having sold my old Fender Tweed 5E3 to a collector type I bought a Mission kit 5E3 second hand already built.Weber 12A125,V1 RCA 12ay7,V2 Tesla Rosnov E83CC, Brimar 6V6`s. I am torn between leaving it stock or installing the following mods as suggested by Bruce at Mission amps.
    mod 1;Tone volume mod kit.Suppost to give the knobs a larger more friendly sweep keeping the interaction of volume knobs.
    mod 2;The dual Mission amps switchable "humbuckler" flub/flatulence reduction kit[has mini toggle on back to bypass] includes the Paul C mod.
    Anyone with any experience w/ these mods please chime in and offer your opinions.

2. Dale

Dale Member

I like stock. But I do not mind the flub so much.

3. go7

go7 Member

Yeah, I was reading some other threads on similar topics on the Deluxe.I`m thinking now I may just leave it stock.

4. DrewB

DrewB Member

The farty bottom can be controlled somewhat by using the volume controls' interaction to your advantage. I plug a Les Paul into the bright #1 input of my Mission 5E3 kit build (Cannabis Rex speaker) and set the tone at 10 1/3 and both volumes just under 9 without bridging the channels. The normal-channel volume control helps set the mids where you want them; all the way down is the most midrange and compression, while higher settings pull the mids back enough to help with articulation.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

6. Peppy

Peppy Member

It's not like it's a vintage and valuable piece...mod it. Can't it be "unmodded" later anyway?

7. Trout

Trout Member

If you want to tackle a 5E3 based on a lot of well documented info,

This is a great read on the How's and Why's of the 5E3. It addresses the majority of complaints with the original circuit.

Of course as with any mod, it is no longer a "Purest 5E3" but either way, It is a great read!

This is a 27 page PDF file, so depending on your connect, you might want to save the file to your HD.

5E3 Deluxe Project

Enjoy

8. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Yes. that is a very good article, the most amusing part was the price of labor to build a Weber 5E3. I did try one of the mods...removing the bypass cap from the second stage of the preamp and it raises headroom as well as giving the volume a larger sweep.

MikeY

9. Trout

Trout Member

Could you imagine paying that??? LMBO

$4000.00 design and build total, I guess that explains current dumble build costs :D

Total Cost = 4,000 + 466.50 = 4,466.50 including kit and parts :AOK

I can see the negative feedback being a possible virtue also, just do not use to much, maybe a 75k-100k resistor to limit its overall effect.

Trout​

10. hasserl

hasserl Member

Note that the Vol/Tone mod does not keep the interaction of the volume controls, it seperates them like the larger tweed amps. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is quite different than stock.

My latest amp was designed around a 5E3, and I did both the Vol mod (not Bruce's, my own, but similar) and the PaulC mod as well as a couple of others to cut some of the bass and tighten up the bottom end. It's a kick ass amp, but it's not a 5E3 any more. But that's alright, It fits what I do better than a real 5E3, IMO it's a better 5E3.

11. tybone

tybone Member

I haven't moded the circuit yet but I do change the tubes around and get a speaker that handles the bass a little better.

Larry

12. go7

go7 Member

Thanks all .Great info. I`m going to leave it stock and put any mods on the backburner. Enjoy!