Tweed 5E3x2 Double Deluxe for Rockabilly?

scott1568

Hi all,

I am currently in a local Rockabilly band and have played out several dates over the last year in different venues.

Current Setup:
Gretsch Hollowbody with Dynasonics
1967 Bassman Head
2 x 10 vented cab with Weber Alnico Blue Pups
Echo Jr. , Marshall Bluesbreaker clone for mild overdrive on some songs

The amp holds solid on the low notes which I like, but I am looking for a smoother distortion wave than what a 6L6 amp typically offers.

I want to build my first amp, a Weber 5E3 x 2, but I am tentative. Out of all of the soundclips I hear/see on YouTube, the owner is demonstrating the amp cranked - which is great, but I am wondering if the cleans are going to keep up with a drummer in a 2 x 12 package. I have a few ideas about speakers. I was thinking of using my Weber Alnico Blue 12 paired with a ceramic Emi Legend or Celestion V30 to help with the lows on this amp possibly.

Or, should I just consider something else? I do like the breakup of cathode biased amps like the Tweed Deluxe though. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

ledzep618

I can't honestly comment on a 2x12 5E3, dunno how much extra headroom the second speaker/bigger enclosure would provide, but the 5E3 Deluxe circuit is not known for headroom...I couldn't possibly dream of keeping up with a drummer while staying clean through my Deluxe

Onioner

I can't honestly comment on a 2x12 5E3, dunno how much extra headroom the second speaker/bigger enclosure would provide, but the 5E3 Deluxe circuit is not known for headroom...I couldn't possibly dream of keeping up with a drummer while staying clean through my Deluxe
This. I love 5E3s, but if clean headroom is your thing, it aint the amp for you, even if it is twice the power.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Even with the extra power, clean headroom is not the thing with the double deluxe. Also fwiw, when I played one with a Gretsch Anniversary it feedback like crazy! The frequency range being pushed by the deluxe circuit is exactly the frequency that the Gretsch resonated like all hell with.

If you want a great tweed from Weber to build for your gretsch, try the 5e5a tweed Pro, good enough combo for Pete Townsend and they sound wonderful together.

amphog

A Super Reverb sure sounds nice with that Gretsch, and it will keep up with a loud drummer.

Greentone

I have played traditional rockabilly gigs with a normal 5e3 and an ES-5 with good results. An upright bass can only get so loud anyway.

Trending Topics