• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

tweed amps and klon(e)s?

great_blue

At the risk of starting yet another klon(e) thread, I was wondering if anyone uses a one with their tweed amps; specifically a 5E3 style? All of this talk of the legendary klon has given me quite a case of klonitis and has me dreaming of musical horsie-men. But I'm guessing the subtleties of the pedal would get somewhat lost in the grit and/or roar of a tweed amp?

Thanks.

mdrake34

I run my EHX soul food into my Catalinbread Formula No. 5 with great results. I don't have Eric Johnson's ears, so I don't know if any subtleties are lost, but it's a good sound. It bumps up the gain and treble/presence.

Lewguitar

I often run my AF1 into my 50's Fenders and my 50's Gibson GA20. Sounds good! I tend to use those amps for slide. Gets a nice, thick growl with a bit of a "muted trumpet" tonal quality.

Lewguitar

I often run my AF1 into my 50's Fenders and my 50's Gibson GA20. Sounds good! I tend to use those amps for slide. Gets a nice, thick growl with a bit of a "muted trumpet" tonal quality.
Thanks, but I was hoping for info about how it sounds with an actual tweed amp, not another pedal.
The AF1 is a Klon Klone. And my 50's Fender Amps are tweed amps.

I have a few. My favorite is this one - my '51 Super:

But I also play a lot through this little 50's Fender Princeton/Harvard:

Last edited:

fancychords

I run a wampler 57 tweed into a 59 ri bassman ltd..I love it..It gives you the bassman sound only more of it and it gives great break up without being overly loud...after really working it I found the best pedal settings to be..Switch set to normal..Bass 10:00 mid and treble 12:00 and gain at 12:00..

hepmike

I can’t play that!
Gold Supporting Member
I'm using a JHS Klone with my '60 Tweed Deluxe. Using the Klone in this setup sounds GREAT, but it pushes it hard and as the tubes warmup any clean headroom i had starts fading quickly. I have to be careful not to let the overdrive get away from me. In the right room, with the right combination of players, when I can set my amps volume at about 3-4 (where it starts to break up for me) it's absolutely amazing. Very dynamic, bright (the way i like it!), and probably sounds a bit more like a Marshall Plexi then a Fender setup. But if the room is too big, or i'm trying to compete against a steel-guitar player with a huge solid state amp, i can get buried quickly.

Kitten Cannon

I used to run an actual silver Klon into a variety of tweed amps - Super, Bassman, high power Twin. I cannot imagine why anyone would NOT want to do this.

Subtleties getting lost? That's silly. Just play one and see for yourself. If the Soul Food is as good as everyone says, at that price point it's a pretty easy point of entry into the world of Klon.

great_blue

I'm using a JHS Klone with my '60 Tweed Deluxe. Using the Klone in this setup sounds GREAT, but it pushes it hard and as the tubes warmup any clean headroom i had starts fading quickly. I have to be careful not to let the overdrive get away from me. In the right room, with the right combination of players, when I can set my amps volume at about 3-4 (where it starts to break up for me) it's absolutely amazing. Very dynamic, bright (the way i like it!), and probably sounds a bit more like a Marshall Plexi then a Fender setup. But if the room is too big, or i'm trying to compete against a steel-guitar player with a huge solid state amp, i can get buried quickly.
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured given the fairly low clean headroom of a Deluxe.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom