Tweed Bassman Men: Most Satisfying Clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by smilefan, Mar 15, 2006.

1. smilefan

smilefan Member

Tweed Newbie looking for advise on Tweed Bassman
    clones. Got to play thru a real one. It was everything
    they are fabled to be. But not for the $3500 asking
    price.

Steer me in the right direction to a satifying clone?
    What Tweed Bassman-style impressed you most?
    I played the LTD. Great for a new Fender, but not
    up to the tone standards of the original I played.
    I know some genius builder got it close somewhere.
    Clue me in.

Thanks for any advise.

2. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

3. Roe

Roe Member

budget: ltd
    boutique: clark (or victoria with weber 10a125s)

4. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

Reissue w/hoffman board and MM OT............;)

5. Ogre

Ogre Member

6. Colt

Colt Member

7. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

I played a Carr recently that had an identical Bassman panel. Sounded great. Don't remember which model though. The Victoria's pretty BAMF too.

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I played the REGULAR bassman RI alongside three original 59 bassmans. They were all slightly different, each sounding just as good as the others. (one actually sounded really flubby) Never compared the LTD, but I love that amp.
    In any case, this is not a clone, but the best sounding tweed amp I have ever played. It killed the Victoria bassman clone (which is great) in an A/B situation.

The Bruno Tweedy Pie 35 is loaded with the highly sought after tweed tone of 1955. Using this famous dual rectifier tone as a starting point, Tony has massaged and refined the sound to near perfection. This amp has sweet highs, nice warm midrange and full blooming bass notes with excellent touch sensitivity and dynamics. At lower volume settings it has thick clean tones, but crank it up and the Tweedy Pie delivers rich harmonics and superb distortion.
    It features 35 watts of dual 6L6 power, 3 - 12AX7s, and 2 - 5U4 rectifiers. The cabinet is constructed of solid pine for its sweet brightness and then fine tuned with a birch ply baffle for superb resonance. Finger-jointed construction is used just like the finest furniture which provides a very strong, extremely rigid, rattle free cabinet that will last a lifetime.

9. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Side note: most of the best originals I've heard were 59-60 models loaded with the OEM JBL alnico 10s which were only available in the last year of production. Weber makes a repro of that speaker, though I'm not sure whether any of the cloners are using them except by special order.

10. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Two Rectifiers? That sounds more like a low power twin (replace 5ar4's with 5u4's)

11. K-man

K-man Member

The earlier Bassman models (5E6 I think?) used two rectifiers as well.

12. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Definitely Clark Piedmont.

13. MVrider

MVrider Member

That doesn't *sound* like the 6F6 Bassman preamp circuitry either - and I mean *sound* in more ways than one.

Smilefan, the Bassman circuitry is inherent to the Bassman sound. Different circuit = different amp = different sound. So once we go down that road, not only are we NOT talking Bassman clones anymore, we're not even talking Bassman-like anymore. A true apples and rocks comparison.

Champs don't sound like Twins and early Deluxes don't sound like Bandmasters. Lots of guys LOVE tweed Pros. But... they DON'T sound like 6F6 Bassman amps. Earlier Bassmans don't sound like 6F6 Bassman amps. And the 6F6's are the ones that most builders *clone*.

So... since you DID specify BASSMAN CLONE, I don't think you can go wrong with the Victoria. They've been around a while, have a good track record both of sound fidelity to the originals and build quality plus they can be found used at favorable prices.

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Thats right. Gene at Ultrasound had told me several years ago that they were Tony Brunos favorite amp.

15. ES350

ES350 Member

Most people clone the 5F6A, for obvious reasons. Even within this, there is a world of difference between the earlier P10R versions (crunchy, sweeter) and the later P10Q version (brighter, cleaner). Nearly every original 5F6A I've owned or played sounds different...so it's like asking what a PAF sounds like--which one? The boutique/clone amps tend to lean one way or the other; a little dirtier than the originals, or higher powered and cleaner...but I haven't kept any of the clones I've tried. If you really want the real deal, you save your pennies, buy the real thing, and keep it forever.

16. landru64

landru64 Member

i've always heard that the blues pearl ones were the best you can get, better than most real old ones, and way better than the victoria stuff. of course... if you can find one...

17. myles111

myles111 Member

18. Glaze

Glaze Member

I have not played through a Bruno. I wanted to actually be a Bruno dealer when I was a dealer, but Bruno already had a dealer in Utah which was Guitar Czar, so I never have tried a Bruno unfortunately. I have not played through a Clark amp either. I'm no longer a musical instruments dealer today.

The best tweed clone I have personally played through is the Victoria 4x10 Bassman. I do not care what anyone says about that amp. It is hands down one of the most impressive amps I have ever played through tonally. It sounds better than many of the high end amps I have compared it to also. This amp also sounded better than every vintage Fender every customer brought in to play next to the Victoria. The only vintage Fenders that sound as good are the vintage Tweed Fenders. It's authentic sounding and it is the only new amp I've played in the last five years that really sounds vintage.

However I'm not going to argue with what Tag says here. Dumble mods Tweed Bassmans all of the time for people. To me the Bruno Tag is talking about kind of sounds like a modded style Bassman, but I am really guessing here because I know nothing about that amp.

Personally I'm on the ultimate non master volume Plexi Marshall hunt, but have not narrowed it down to one amp to buy yet...

Mike

19. sus4

sus4 Member

20. monstermike

monstermike Member

I've never played through a Clark, but I can't imagine anything sounding better than my friend's Victoria.

I never disliked the Bassman reissue, but the LTD I played in the store was sweeter, looser and cooler. In general, swapping the first 12AX7 for a 12AY7 and making sure that it's a tube rectifier will sweeten up any reissue Bassman.