tweed champ fans. post here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wsaraceni, Feb 27, 2009.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

so i've been thinking for a while, i need a small single ended amp. i have a powerful 60 watter. i have a 2xel84 19 watter. and to be honest, i like the sound of most single ended combo amps ive played.

i was thinking of getting a swart space tone or a goodsell 7, and still may, but this video comparing the space tone to a 59 tweed champ has got me thinking, a nice vintage champ would be cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCvLdZq8p5Q

what prices do these go for? i've seen anywhere from $1000 to $2500 looking around. $1250-1500 seems to be where most are set.

so post away.

2. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have a Mojotone 5F1 that I built with the help of one of the TGP-er's. It's an excellent amp with great tone. It's the one I generally plug into when I have a few spare minutes to play.

3. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I would look at a tweed Princeton. The reasons are you get a tone control, the output transformer is bigger, the speaker is bigger, and the amp is quieter because of the way the power supply is done. This guy has some pretty good prices and he does great work (I have a couple of his amps):

http://www.s2amps.com/princeton.html

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Does my Victoria 518T count? Amazing amp. I've also played some real deal Champs. Amazing as well. Not the most versitile amp in the world - but, it excells at what it does!

5. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

My wife has a Victoria 518 does that count? Love it! But I did get a variation on the theme and picked up a Swart str tweed and a 12" speaker makes things even better.

6. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I love my victoria champ, it really does sound great at any volume and with any guitar or pickup. From very warm and jazzy to twangy clean to great breakup it really does it all. I never play out and sometimes I wonder why I even have any other amps when the champ really covers all my bases. It takes pedals great as well--my OCD in front of it sounds amazing. I sold my Hot Cat when I realized I liked the sound of my OCD into my champ better than the Hot Cat's distortion.

7. wsaraceni

all tweed champ based amps count, and im up for discussing them as well, but to me, id really like to know more about real tweed champs. is 1200-1500 for a nice example the going rate or am i way off? seems like most boutique makers are selling their single ended amps for 1000-1100. for a few hundred more, if i can get a nice tweedy example, i may end up doing that.

8. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

I have a '57 Champ. It sounds good!

9. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I have three, one wide, two narrow panels champs. Price range is about $800-$1200, realistically. $1500 better have the hang tags, and not a scratch, dent or ding on it. Every once in a while you see someone get a real Champ for $500-$600 for a beat up, but great sounding example.

10. wsaraceni

thanks for the info adam. i've never really looked into these amps much before today. what is the difference between wide and narrow panel versions? are all the tweed champs the same circuit? some years worth more than others? i may have to hunt for one after all.

11. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Earlier ones (wide panel) used an octal based preamp tube (6SJ7). Later ones (narrow panel) used a 12AX7 preamp tube. More gain, more grit, more dirt, more anger in a narrow panel. Early narrow panel had a choke, later removed it. Both my narrow panels don't have it. One has a 6 inch, the other an 8 inch speaker. Circuits are all similar with some minor differences. Narrow panels tend to get more money than wide panels.

They all sound awesome though. Just a little different.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  12. wsaraceni

so the narrow panel ones have the similar shape to what we now think of fender amps with the controls in the top back (like a pro jr) and the wide panels are angled down in the back? http://www.ampwares.com/images/Champ_WP_1954-Rear.jpg like that one

im wondering what a pair of narrow panel champs with a tube tape echo between them would sound like.

13. Shnook

Shnook Member

I would love to find out! I can imagine it'd sound freakin' AWESOME!

In my experience, boutiques and clones are very nice and have great tones of their own. However, if you are wanting the classic vintage tones, go with a vintage amp. Plus, they will hold their value. Try to get a Tweed Champ with as little replaced as possible. Especially the transformers. Good luck with your search. There was someone on the emporium not too long ago selling Tweed Champ for a good price.

14. case4bass

case4bass Member

I had an old tweed princeton that my uncle gave me.......I sold it. It seemed like a
    firetrap. After they get too old they become unsafe. It's better to have a clone
    for daily use. Many many on the market. Kits are fun too.

15. wsaraceni

why do they get unsafe as they get older? thats the first i've heard of anyone saying a vintage amp is unsafe. especially if its had a checkup by a reputable tech

16. emjee

emjee Member

I had a narrow panel and sold it after I bought a Victoria 518; they sounded identical!
    They have an extremely warm sound. I am a pedal fanatic and find it takes all pedals very nicely. I understand Clapton used a narrow panel
    tweed champ when recording "Layla".

17. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

No offense, but this sounds a bit paranoid. They aren't firetraps. If you are worried about a vintage amp, take it to a tech to give it a once over. They will tell you if it's a firetrap or not.

And yes, the wide panel has a slanted chassis, and a hole for the opening, narrow panel is top mounted, and has two separate back panel pieces.

Sorry about posting a huge picture, but it's the only one I have up right now. On the right, from top to bottom: Top shelf is two White Amps (one 1956, one 1961, essentially tweed Princeton's in difference boxes. Made by Fender), Next shelf 1956 Champ Narrow Panel w/ 6 inch, 1960 White Amp, 1962 Champ Narrow Panel w/ 8 inch. Next shelf is 1955 Tweed Deluxe (4 input/small box), and a 1957 Princeton (big box). Last shelf is a 1954 Super wide panel, and a 1939 Epiphone Zephyr.

Hunting down a White amp or a Princeton is also a good idea. Same basic amp, but with a tone control.

[​IMG]

18. wsaraceni

adam, thanks for all the info. one more question. what is a tweed harvard and what years came with 6" or 8" speakers in the champs

19. Shnook

Shnook Member

I sooooo want a tweed Harvard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQp2b68PrMM

20. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

6 inch speaker on a narrow panel champ is usually 1955 or 1956. Haven't seen any later than that, but it could exist. 6 inch is standard on a wide panel 1953-1955.

Tweed Harvard (5F10) is a step up from a Princeton, kind of. It is a pair of 6V6's, a 12AX7 and a bit of an oddball tube, a 6AT6 as the first preamp stage. Came with either an 8 or 10. Cool amp. The other version of the tweed Harvard (the 6G10, very similar to a Princeton) was only a schematic. No originals have ever been seen and probably don't exist.