Tweed Champ Has No Top End

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ozspawn, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ozspawn

ozspawn Member

Help. I have a '64 Champ in mint condition that has a major tone problem: the treble has gone away, leaving only a dull and lifeless low to mid range tone. The tone is clean: there is no scratchiness, buzz or hum. There is just no top end.

I have replaced both the 12AX7 and the 6V6 tubes, with no change in tone. I have switched out the original CTS speaker for a new Kendrick, with no change in tone. I have even played the Champ through the speakers in a '70 Vibrolux Reverb (a Ragin' Cajun and a Copper Head), with no change in tone.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could cause the top end of the tone to go away?

Thanks.

2. ozspawn

ozspawn Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I just installed new caps, with no change in tone.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. abro163

abro163 Member

If a coupling cap is leaking DC it can do that

4. brad347

brad347 Member

A cathode bypass cap that has gone open can also do that.

Of course, if it's an original tweed with the Astron paper-in-wax caps, those leak DC a lot, so the leaky coupling caps wouldn't be far behind on my list of things to check out.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    A '64 wouldn't be tweed, so...which is it?

Does the treble/tone control work at all?

6. ozspawn

ozspawn Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm going to check out those caps right away. It sounds like a quick fix.

Blue Strat, you know your Fender amps. Which is it? Both. The '64 is a tweed amp covered in tolex. You know the story: Fender ran out of tweed in '64 so they used tolex. It has no tone controls, only a volume knob.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll let you know what happens.