• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Tweed Champ kits

koa

Silver Supporting Member
What the consensus on these? Anybody do one of these lately? I’ve done the search function on this and was just looking to find some new info on these. I understand Mojotone is offering a complete instruction manual with these now. Thanks

CloneTone

What the consensus on these? Anybody do one of these lately? I’ve done the search function on this and was just looking to find some new info on these. I understand Mojotone is offering a complete instruction manual with these now. Thanks
If you want to get your cabinet lacquered, Mojotone will do it with their kit for an extra charge:
https://www.mojotone.com/kits/TweedAmpKits_x/Test-Tweed-Champ-Amp-Kit

StewMac sells the same Mojotone kits, with better instructions:
https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and.../Amplifier_Kits/57_Mini_Tweed_5W_Amp_Kit.html

The Tweed Deluxe is 12watts, the Champ is 5watts. The Deluxe Mojotone kit is also sold at StewMac, with better instructions.

I love my Champ kit, built this one last year - got it lacquered from Mojotone:

Last edited:

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
The cramped chassis makes the Champ one of the more difficult amps to actually wire together, as simple as it is.

Anyway:
Weber is the most cost effective at the cost of quality, Boothill is just a small step up in quality and cost.
Triode Electronics is high quality at a decent price but is not vintage accurate and does not include a speaker, cab or instructions.
Mojotone are pretty damn good but you're paying for it.
Stewmac and Marsh are sightly tweaked (depending on the kit) versions of the Mojotone but both include instructions too.

I've built a few but the one I've kept is the Triode. I built it using their suggestions of a 15 watt OT and a few uprated power supply components to handle most other octal output tubes. I paired it in a slightly-deeper-than-vintage-correct cab from Mojotone and a Jupiter 8sc speaker and it sounds amazing at all positions on it's little chicken head knob!

koa

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all of the info. I’m leaning towards Mojotone since this will be my first build and they have what appears to be the best instructions.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for all of the info. I’m leaning towards Mojotone since this will be my first build and they have what appears to be the best instructions.
Did you dive in?

Mike Weiss

I just completed the Mojotone Champ Kit, they had 15% off over the holidays so that knocked off 85 bucks. They did mess up the parts count, had to wait a week for another handful of parts. It works but I'm not impressed with the sound. I can't use the neck pickups on any of my Gibsons, just too much bass, I'll do a search for possible mods to fix that. My voltages are a bit high, not sure how that affects things...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom