Tweed Cleans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Nov 15, 2005.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Can anyone point me in the direction of examples of what tweed cleans sound like (like a tweed twin)? I've heard blackface, but have never tried a tweed amp. Thanks.

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Do you mean recorded examples, or amps you can try to see how it sounds in person? For amps, you can't go wrong with Victoria and they're available all over. There might be better clones, but not easier to find ones...

3. fenderbender4

Oh, sorry I mean recorded examples. Also, any usual "adjectives" of the sound. Like Vox=chimey, Fender BF=a little scooped, etc. Thanks.

4. fenderbender4

Oh, do Tweed cleans have *hair* on them like Marshall cleans do? I mean this from a perspective of a person who thinks a Fender is clean and a Marshall is a little hairy.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I understand much of Jethro Tulls stuff was done with a tweed bassman. Early ZZ Top may have some Tweed Deluxe, as does a lot of Neil Young. Layla was a tweed Champ. Yup, a tweed is never clean in the same sense as a BF Fender, more like a JTM45...

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Hairy, gritty, broken glass on top. Kind of like a grittier Vox sound, sez I, though I'm still trying to come to grips with it myself. Not at all BF-y, more early Marshall/Vox/old Chicago blues.

And just darn sweet! :)

7. stekks

stekks Member

Tweed clean is more 'woody' and have a grainier texture. If that's of any help at all :D

8. Curly

Curly Member

Keith Richards and Clapton are known tweed Twin users, but I couldn't point to a specific track.

9. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

To my ear, the tweed sound is less refined than blackface. Tweed has less mid scoop, somehow sounds like it's always on the edge of breakup (no matter what the volume), less focused, looser feel, but still Fendery by nature. While I haven't tried Fender's new Tweed Twin, I've tried the Fender Bassman reissues, Clark, & Victoria amps and all are excellent examples of tweed. However, the Clark Tyger (Fender Bandmaster 3X10 clone) is one of the two best amps I've ever played, tweed or not.

10. monstermike

monstermike Member

Very early Buddy Guy. Think "I Was Walking Through The Woods," "A Man and the Blues," and Junior Wells' "Hoodoo Man Blues" and "It's My Life Baby!" - all recorded with a Bassman.

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Here's how I describe it, since I've owned both tweed (Victoria Bassman and deluxe and blackface twin and a host of others Tone King etc...)

Tweed= a peach. Soft texture a little hair on it, a little squishy and very juicy.

Blackface= an apple. Hard surface (think glassey), tight (isn't doesn't give) , smooth to the touch, less juicy

Blackface generally sounds more high fidelity with less harmonic content with extended lows and highs with a reduced midrange.

Tweed less overall high end but they can be very bright with certain speakers, more midrange content and harmonic complexity.

If you want breakup tweed pummels blackface IMHO, it breaks up in a much sweeter way (mostly due to circuit design) the blackface stuff never sounds good to me when it breaks up, it does sound very nice right before that point however.

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

As a longtime BF lover, I was real curious about tweed cleans. Had played the tweed deluxe, but not the larger circuits. Heard recordings of Bob Margolin playing Victoria's Bandmaster when it first came out. That sounded so fine to me (Bob raved in print about these amps repeatedly), I resolved to someday find one.

Now I have one, but not Victoria. Got the Clark Tyger, and very much agree with VaughnC. It is the coolest amp. Lots more clean than I expected, in part due to the Weber P10Q speakers, which are the best alnico speakers I've ever played through.

Still haven't heard a bassman, but have heard several other 35 watt tweeds, 6L6 or 5881 equipped. Compared to the deluxe, these tweeds have some more or a lot more clean available, depending mostly on speaker format. The clean tone itself has a different character from BF. Tweed clean has more body, thicker sounding w/o actually getting into OD. It lacks that famous "sparkle" you hear in BF amps, but gives you what feels like more harmonic content instead. I'm no sound engineer, so the description may be bogus. I can tell you tweed clean sounds ridiculously good. I'm still loving BF, but can't seem to play anything but the Tyger these days.

13. boomchickaboom

boomchickaboom Member

here's a few clips with a fairly clean sounding real deal high power tweed twin.....there's a wee bit of dirt, and i ran a dynacomp in front....so take that into account.....

it's the guitar on the left in both clips....the dirtier guitar in each is thru a tweed deluxe syle amp.....

first clip.....mim tele with lindy fralin pickups.....

http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~esmond/test/MUDRIDE-Independence.mp3

second clip....mia b-bender tele.....seymour duncan broadcaster pickup.....dirtier lead is a different amp.....

http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~esmond/test/MUDRIDE-LayYouDown.mp3

d

14. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I think tweed (versus blackface) cleans are more dynamicly responsive (hair when you dig in, shimmer when you pick lightly), and utilize the amplifer more as an instrument, whereas the bf cleans serve more just to amplify the sound... certainly they have their own 'instrument voice' as well, but I always think of bf as more neutral sounding, and tweed as warmer and imparting more of the amp's voicing character into your tone.

15. cameron

cameron Member

Listen to records from the 50s. Almost everyone played really clean back then, and if they weren't necessarily playing tweed Fenders, they were playing very similar amps from Gibson, Magnatone, Valco et al. The most prominent 50s guitar sounds that you probably can't get from (stock) tweed Fenders would be the Standel amps you hear on a lot of Nashville recordings from the period. And you can get pretty close to that with a tweed Twin or Bassman if you put JBL speakers in them.

16. fenderbender4

How is the new '59 bassman reissue from Fender? Is it any good?

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Tweed Cleans Oh Boy. Not even close to blackface. Sorta maybe akin to Marshall.

First off you can (at low volume) get a Tweed to be clean with no hair.

Think warm melted butter. Smooth round tone. No Bite no rigidness none of the hardnees that the Later Fenders give you. None of the spank either.

But indeed turn it up and it gets hairy and gotta love that Saggy Saturation when Cranked.

Ya just cant beat a good Tweed Tone though my Tweed Amp is a Modern Repro (SDG Vintage) of one that was never made. The Tweed Proluxe.

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I listened to a new concept Bassman from Fender last weekend, I think they are starting to "relic" amp now. Anyway, it was the typical Fender Bassman reissue sound extremely bright and tight and when I turned it up to about 8 it did not break up nicely. It sounded better at lower volumes but I had to keep the treble and presence controls at 4 or lower any more was too much. The old Victoria's with the mojo speakers are way better, not harsh at all and when they break up it's the "Voice of God"

19. petemin

petemin Supporting Member

fenderbender,

it depends on which tweed amp you're talking about. it seems to me that the smaller ones tend to be less refined sounding than the higher power ones (super, pro and twins). i have an original narrow panel deluxe, super and low power twin. the twin has one of the best clean sounds ever rivaling my two jmi vox amps. it gets super clean no problem depending on the guitar you're using. i'll probably get flamed for this, but i haven't heard an reproduction of a tweed amp that sounds or reacts like a real tweed. hope this helps.

20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Go to any local Fender dealer and plug into a Bassman RI and then plug into a Super Reverb RI. There you have the difference between tweed and blackface. :)

The bassmans sound ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like Marshall JTM 45s. I realize that the techys say they are very similar, but put them side by side, and they have nothing in common sonically. The Marshall has WAY more gain, an overall "steely" sound compared to the warmness of the Fender, and a harder feel to it.

The Marshall Bluesbreaker combo is my favorite Marshall amp right now. I actually liked it more than the HWRI JTM 45, and a Blockhead clone. The Bassman LTD still ate all three of those amps up side by side. The GC in Paramus NJ has (or recently had) them all in stock in their sound room. The fender had FAR better cleans, was thicker harmonically, and just sounded "higher in quality" all the way around, even over the HW boutiques. :eek:

Tha Bassman LTD is one of the best sounding amps available today at ANY price to my well trained ear. :dude