Tweed cutting out when I play hard HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KurtisAZ, Mar 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. KurtisAZ

KurtisAZ Supporting Member

Just bought a Tyler 20/20 off the emporium and it sounds sweet EXCEPT when I dig in on chords or something, it cuts the beginning of the note off, like the amp is flinching it just totally shuts sound down for half a second and then comes back for the rest of the note. Anybody have any clue how I can fix this? Thank you.
    Best
    -Kurtis

2. Roccorobb

Roccorobb Member

Sure don't, but my first guess whenever something goes 100% silent end then comes back is to check connections.

The-Kid, frank4001 and KurtisAZ like this.
  3. KurtisAZ

It was packaged well, but FedEx took her for a wild ride. Hole in the box, loose chassis, etc. going to take it to a friend tomorrow and hope he can tighten everything up right.

4. frank4001

frank4001 Member

I just had that type of issue with an amp and it was a capacitor solder connection issue.

KurtisAZ likes this.
  5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Could the 5E3 rectifier output tube not be putting out enough voltage? Can you use a 5U4 in that circuit or a 5AR4?

KurtisAZ likes this.
  6. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

I was gonna guess the rectifier tube first.

KurtisAZ likes this.
  7. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Check the tube sockets and the soldering on them as well. I had a tweed that had a loose solder joint and at different times most likely from vibration would short out or lose signal. If it took a fall from shipment, it could have some solder joint issues.

It was the rectifier tube on mine fyi.

KurtisAZ likes this.
  8. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Your setup is Guitar -> Cord -> Amp when this happens? What is the setting of the Volume knob? Channels jumped or no?

Make sure tubes (and speaker cord) are seated firmly in their sockets first, but after that we need more info on the conditions under which this occurs.

KurtisAZ likes this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Member

could be this or loose soldering.

There was a deluxe reverb special edition western brown tolex Cream Alnico Celestion......great amp...

Problem was whenever I played it loud....and I play loud ......used an FF and a EQD Acapulco Gold :)

Glorious sound no doubt problem was when I played loud and got the bass thumping the speaker cable would displace from jack....it kept happening over and over again and disuaded me from ever purchasing it for all the money given the simple not so simple issue...

May be this OP

KurtisAZ likes this.
  10. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

KurtisAZ likes this.
  11. KurtisAZ

12. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

You didn't answer my questions. Depending on the specific manner of use when the cutting-out occurs, it could simply be normal operation.

For example, if you're diming the Volume control and possibly adding a boost ahead of the amp, heavy power tube overdrive will lead to blocking distortion that can cut off part of the output signal of the amp.

But if you're playing the amp on 2.5 with lower output pickups & not pre-boosting the signal with pedals, cutting-out suggests a loose connection or solder joint somewhere in the amp.

It is always wise to use some manner of troubleshooting rather than blindly trying some cure that helped someone else, when they probably didn't have the same fault occurring as in your amp.

twoheadedboy likes this.
  13. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Agreed. Need to know the conditions under which this is occurring. Tweeds can do this when run wide open, but they shouldn't do it at low volumes. I'm no amp tech, but if this was happening at low volumes, I would suspect the rectifier or power tubes, or a transformer. If it were my amp, I would try reseating all tubes in their sockets and check my cables. If that didn't help, I would swap tubes if I had them on hand. After that, I would take it to a good amp tech.

14. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

I’ve had preamp tubes do this. Got extras lying around?

15. KurtisAZ

Guy ended up saying it was a connection at two of the tubes and he hooked it up. Thanks everybody, runs good now. Super versatile amp I’m shocked having never played the 5e3 before

HotBluePlates likes this.
  16. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Previous owner modified the amp?

17. KurtisAZ

No, but fed ex modified it on the way to my house I guess