• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tweed Deluxe 5E3 harp mod...

muzza

Hi. Not sure if this is the right forum for harp amps.

I've just taken ownership of a 5E3 clone and the feedback screams like a banshee at 2 with a green bullet plugged in.

I've heard that they make good harp amps with the right mods, which is why I bought it. But with a bit of further research I found that a 5C3 is better for feedback-less harp playing... primarily because of the paraphase phase inverter.

Trouble is, they use 6SC7 tubes, which are pretty rare. My research led me to the 5D3 circuit. I BELIEVE that it also uses a paraphase phase inverter, but with a 12AX7 instead.

Anyway, long story short, what do you think of my "Frankenluxe" schematic?

The yellow parts are common to all 3 circuits, except I've changed the coupling caps to 0.1uF/600V.

The green part is from the 5D3 / 12AY7 preamp circuit and trimmed down to 2 different inputs.

The blue part is from the 5C3 / 6SC7 paraphase circuit. My thinking is to keep this part using a 6SC7, as I only need to find one instead of 2, and from what I've found, this seems to be at the heart of what makes the 5C3 a good harp amp.

Anyway... Whadyathink???

Last edited:

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
I'm getting a broken link for the schematic. A former bandmate plays harp with a Green Bullet though a stock 5E3 clone that I built for him. He plugs into the instrument channel and cranks the other channel almost all the way up.

Trending Topics