Tweed Deluxe 5E3

Silent Sound

You could. It's a really simple amp to build, so lots of people have. If you're wanting to find one even cheaper than what you could build it for, I'd check out one of the millions of used clones out there that individuals have made for themselves, and then decided to sell it for whatever reason. Used kit amps don't hold much value, which is bad for the kit builder, but great for the second hand buyer! And I'd say if you're that concerned about the quality of a used kit built amp made by Joe Schmo, then you might want to save up and buy right.

I built a 5e3 out of a used hifi parts once. It cost me around $200 all together. That price estimate even includes parts that I already had, so it was actually well less than $200 out of pocket for me. It sounds amazing too! I even added a couple of my own mods. As simple as that circuit is, I didn't even need a turret board. It was a true point to point with everything mounted directly to the sockets. You couldn't build a modern amp that way even if you tried! There's just too much crap going on in them!

rippingrudy

I currently do not have the capacity to build one. I'd love it if someone came out with one on the cheap though.... even if it had a circuit board (hides...)

garret

Closest cheap amp may be a VHT Special 6.

Maybe one of the modeling amps by Vox or Fender will get you the tone you're looking for.

trisonic

The problem is that using good components with “so-called” point to point wiring is typically expensive compared to cheap, modern methods. The old way is better for when repairs are needed too. Ask any Amp Tech.

Best, Pete.

GrungeMan

Buy cheap pay twice, save yer money get a Clark Vicky or...something of quality and customer service.

Last edited:

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Does anyone make a cheap, mass produced version of this amp?
I'll sell you a completed chassis pretty cheap. I built it from a Marsh kit 8 years ago and it has always been rock solid but I've been really itching to build an earlier octal Deluxe. I just can't justify having both. I'd offer the cab and speaker too but the cab is just raw, unfinished pine at this point.

PM me if you're interested.

Chicago Slim

Closest cheap amp may be a VHT Special 6.

Maybe one of the modeling amps by Vox or Fender will get you the tone you're looking for.
The VHT Special 6, with the Boost on, is a single ended (single power tube) version of a Tweed Deluxe. With the Boost off, they cut in hard wired resisters for Treble, Mid and Bass, for a blackface like circuit. I ran mine with a Tung Sol 5881, for 10 watts, while retaining that 6V6 like sound.

The Laney Cub 10, with a speaker change (like an Eminence Legend 105), will get you very close, sound wise, at a low price.

IM4Tone

Two inexpensive 5E3: Boothill Amps (I understand he'll build a head version for ~$650 to $700) or JOYO. These two sources are the least expensive I've heard of without DIY kits.

And, IMO, nothing sounds and feels quite like a 5E3, although some people will try to tell you so.

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned 3 different Lil Dawg build by Jim Nickerson, including 2 of his D-Lux 5E3 builds. I'd suggest going right to him!

Chicago Slim

What do any of those amps have to do with a Tweed Deluxe?
Sound, not Tweed cloth. The OP is looking for an inexpensive alternative. It's a simple circuit, that is often emulated. Quilter does it, but they tend to cost more than a Tweed clone. Tech 21's have a Tweed setting, and Fender modeler's have always done Tweed sounds well.

My first amp was an original Fender, TV front Deluxe (5E2), with three inputs, two Volumes and a Tone control. My buddy (and band member) built Tweed clones, mainly Bassman's. I played my amps amps along side his, weekly.

I've stuck with the sound for 40 years. I was always drawn to to the sound of 6V6 amps, with a simple tone stack, no negative feedback, and cathode bias. My buddy, the amp builder, started pointing out, that every amp I bought, had Tweed Deluxe properties. The real trick is finding one that will do Tweed, and still be able to get that Blackface sparkle.

Last edited:

mlj_gear

Sound, not Tweed cloth. The OP is looking for an inexpensive alternative. It's a simple circuit, that is often emulated. Quilter does it, but they tend to cost more than a Tweed clone. Tech 21's have a Tweed setting, and Fender modeler's have always done Tweed sounds well.

My first amp was an original Fender, TV front Deluxe (5E2), with three inputs, two Volumes and a Tone control. My buddy (and band member) built Tweed clones, mainly Bassman's. I played my amps amps along side his, weekly.

I've stuck with the sound for 40 years. I was always drawn to to the sound of 6V6 amps, with a simple tone stack, no negative feedback, and cathode bias. My buddy, the amp builder, started pointing out, that every amp I bought, had Tweed Deluxe properties. The real trick is finding one that will do Tweed, and still be able to get that Blackface sparkle.
The OP is looking for a cheap, mass produced 5E3.

mlj_gear

You could try here: http://www.mableaudio.com/en/products-18.html

Of course you'd have to ignore the error pages written in Chinese when you click on the product link, but you can indeed put it in the shopping cart. :)

Seriously, though... I'd recommend saving up and waiting for a used lunchbox-stlye 5E3 head to pop up or what not.

Weber actually used to stock a pre-built Chinese 5E3 chassis for cheap, but they stopped doing so. I'm guessing people had issues with them. I suppose maybe they competed with their normal 5E3 kit too much, too, though.

Trending Topics