1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tweed Deluxe and 18 watt - A/B setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesbreaker59, Jun 6, 2006.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Anyone doing this? What style of music are you playin? Guitars? What do you think?

I've been lusting for Tweed Deluxe and 18 watt clones, and was planning to use them, sans effects doing like classic rock, blues, southern rock. Seems like a great idea. Both would be 1x12 combos. Then maybe at big places, I'd use 3 amps, and throw my Vicky Double Deluxe in the mix

2. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I don't do it. But I can dig it. :dude

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I'm using a Blackface Deluxe Reverb like amp (Allen Accomplice) and an 18W Marshall like amp (TopHat Supreme 16) in a clean/dirty rig with an A/B/Y box. It is completely and utterly awesome for the pop-rock-blues band I'm playing in (using a s/s/h Suhr Strat-type guitar).

4. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Wicked! You have any clips of that rig in action?

5. OOG

OOG Member

when i saw CSN last year
    Steven Stills had this rig in stereo pairs

6. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

I have a '55 tweed Deluxe that I have tried to play along side my 18Ws. The problem is that the Deluxe doesn't have very much clean headroom so you can't use it for clean with the 18W for dirty. I suppose if you just wanted two different flavours of overdrive, that would work fine. I find the deluxe completely outclassed by the 18W though so it hasn't gotten much use at all since I started working with the 18W. A blackface Deluxe would probably work better with an 18W. Or, a blackface Deluxe and a tweed Deluxe would probably make a nice two amp, clean/lead setup. Or, if I needed an amp strictly for a clean Strat sound, I'd use the tweed Deluxe as it does that very nicely, but at fairly low volume levels.

7. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I've been messing around with this a bit using a Heritage Victory and a Rockytop 18 watt. I personally think this is a perfect match using strat-style guitars, although the Victory is a bit louder.

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Nothing beats experimenting with dual amp setups. Though I don't have these exact amps, I have paired sort of equivalent amps:
    • Gibson GA40 (sorta tweedy, darker) with Magnatone Custom M-10A (sorta like an 18 watter from some other planet, w/7189A tubes). WOW. More clean coming from the maggie. Hot sound!
    • Gibson GA40 with BFDR (with a Weber ceramic). The BFDR provided the clean, or should I say, cleaner. Did this on stage last year. 6v6 heaven. Loud, thick and smooth tone.
    • Magnatone M10A with Twilighter 260 (same as Magnatone 260, a 2x12 w/o reverb). Here the 260 is the clean. Turn on both vibratos, make sure they're in sync (more or less), turn up, watch the whole house pulsate. Indescribable. I have to try this in public.

9. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

I agree with Graydon..............a sf/bf deluxe would do a better job on the clean side

10. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Well I guess I was thinking the Marshall would be the "clean" amp. I always play with some dirt in my sound. So I was just thinking of two different "dirty flavors". I was inspired by seeing Marc Ford's new rig with the Crowes on their club dates, he's using an 18 watt clone, a Tweed Deluxe clone, and an old Supro Thunderbolt. I've always dug his tone, and I love small, easy to carry amps, so I thought this may be perfect for me.

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If you liked Marc's tone with that set up, go for it.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

not yet.......but soon......

13. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

I really want an 18 watter to run dirty while using my Vicky 35310T (5E7 Bandmaster) for clean & crunch tones. The Vicky has enough clean headroom to make it work with the Marshall. I've never really been an EL-84 kind of guy, but oh my...those 18-watters do sound pretty amazing!:drool

-db

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well I've been playing around with this combination today.

I noticed something about using these two together. The Tweed Deluxe and Channel one on the 18 watter are out of phase. So here is the solution to using these two together for optimum performance.

From Guitar out to input 1 on bright Channel of Tweed Deluxe. Then run a short patch cable from input 2 on Channel 1 of Tweed Deluxe to Input 1 on Channel Two of 18 watter.

Then for some extra umph you can use a phase splitter such as an AB Box with phase Reversal to split your guitars signal and reverse the phase on one out which you can hook into the Non Trem Channel on your 18 watter which will double the loudness of your 18 watter. I use the Lehle ABY Box that dosnt have footswitches on it with mine.

Now for some Extra Goodys you can use a Tweed Deluxe Clone that takes 6L6's and puts out just a scoche more output. And how Bout a Solid State Rectifier on the 18 watter for some more Balls. You have to change the Cathode resistor though.

Whoop Arse Tone Baby. :crazyguy

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Heres my 18 watter Balls M-18 and SDG Vintage Tweed Proluxe with my Lehle P-Splitter on my Pedal Board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Sleepless

Sleepless Member

Wow, old thread but it's exactly where I'm at these days... I'm gonna pair a Marshall 18w with a tweed clone and I'm hesitating between the 5E3 (Deluxe) and 5E7 (Bandmaster). I'll build both amps as head and have them go into my 2X12, one speaker for each head. It will be portable and should sound HUGE!

I have curently noticed that many of the gys I listen to use multi-amp rigs (Bonamassa, Trower...) and I'd like to try that with "small amps". I'm really looking for dynamics and two different types of overdrive with good slightly dirty cleans with a roll of the volume knob on my guitars (the cleanish aspect of things s waht makes me hesitate between the 5E3 and 5E7 but I don't want to lose the compressed, fat mids of the 5E3...). I'll use my Alex's attenuator on the 18w since I've read that it's louder than the 5E3 so that I can have fairly comparable volumes coming from both amps. And an ABY box from Lehle to run all that stuff together...

But I have to sell my Metro 100W plexi before that...
    Any new inputs from guys using this dual-amp setup???

17. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

Interested in this one myself. I got a Fender 57 Deluxe (RI) and am absolutely amazed at how that thing sounds. Especially once it's been cooking for a little bit. Sounds like there is some effect on there, like a doubling or some harmonics generator but it's just nocaster, lava cable, amp.
    Decided i wanted a 1974x combo to go with it. Great minds.

18. Sleepless

Sleepless Member

Good, let's wait for some guys who did that and let's have their feedback.

Imagine a GDS 18 watt paired with a Mission Amps 5E3, wouldn't that totally kick major friggin' butt? :drool

I'm gonna get that someday... after a while...

19. skypilot

skypilot Member

This rig and Nash 52 tele working well for me all night long......

20. Sleepless

Sleepless Member

Jeez... Tell us more, tell us more! How does this pair react? Does it clean up well with the guitar's volume knob as that's what worries me the most? Does it roar? We want more! :clips:drool