1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

tweed deluxe build PT question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by brad347, May 13, 2006.

1. brad347

brad347 Member

So i'm going to build a tweed deluxe clone with 6L6s as my first build. I've gotten a nice guy from TGP to tack some iron on to his larger order from Mercury Magnetics. I got the OT that is designed specifically to use 6L6s, but the regular power transformer. Now i've started thinking... can the PT really handle that extra filament current? Should I get another PT instead? I also plan on using an indirectly heated rectifier (GZ34) instead of the 5Y3.

Thanks for any advice. Glad the page is back up!

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

The GZ34 draws .1a less than a 5y3 so that shouldn't be a problem. 6L6GC draws .9a and 6V6 draws .45a, so a pair of 6L6GC's would draw .9a more heater current, you could check your xformer specs to see if the capacity is enough. I've run a lot of sf/bf deluxes on 6L6's with no problems but YMMV. You might also think about the JJ 6V6s which would run close to 6L6's in many respects.Hope this helps .
    Dave C

3. blackjack

blackjack Member

And if the specs don't indicate what your looking for, ask the PT manufacturer, and I would guess they'll confirm that the filament winding in a rugged PT will probably handle the extra current without cooking (but it will age faster). By the way, if you're designing around 6L6's I would just call it a Super instead of a Deluxe.

4. brad347

brad347 Member

I sorted all this out. I'm using a mercury magnetics FatStack transformer instead of the stock one, it is designed to handle the extra filament current so all is well. THanks for your help.

5. wilder

wilder Member

Brad,

I hadn't noticed you here before, but I guess it's no surprise based on the content of our conversations on the DRC board. Good luck with the build. FWIW, Weber and SDG call it a Proluxe. I've got an SDG 5E3 with the MM trannies and it sounds great.

Chris

6. brad347

brad347 Member

yeah i had noticed you here before with teh Denton, TX address but didn't make the connection. This will be John's amp. I sort of miss Denton but i like it up here by NYC. I was talking to a guy today that I used to play with down there and he might fly me down for some gigs soon so maybe you could show me some of yr stuff since i never met you while I lived there.

7. wilder

wilder Member

Cool. Email me if you're going to be in town and we can get the good stuff out to the rehearsal studio. There are a couple of other TGPers in the area that are usually up for a mini-ampfest.

Chris