Tweed deluxe but bigger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chillytc, May 22, 2011.

1. motokev

motokev Member

I like the TWEED part of a TONE KING. I think even the Imperial gets purty loud at 20 watts. But, the Metro is the way to go for more head room

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i didn't fall for the tweed side of the TK. i thought it didn't have the personality of a tweed, just a sort of calibrated shift in mids. the speaker & voicing are a tough multi task & tone king did a fantastic & noble spin. but, whereas the blackface attempt scores better than a fender, i felt the tweed interpretation was lacking.

just my finding. but i love the deluxe buster - long time!

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Tweed Pro (5E5-A) was the answer to this question for me.

The Victoria version is the 35115.

4. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

Totally agree. Just picked up a Louis electric Buster. Amazing amp. But next o a 57 Tweed Twin, the Twin still sounds bigger and more open. Did a direct A-B. but man, did the Buster ever sound amazingly close!

5. voxworld

voxworld Member

Double Deluxe is unbelievable, if you want more 5E3 this is the next logical step, stereo or an a/b box to switch between a DD and your 20112 would be a killer setup.

6. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

I have two Vocs, a Deluxe and a Regal. The latter can be tubed with 2 6L6 for 20+ watts, or as low as 5 w with one 6v6. The 15" speaker is very efficient so overall vol and breakup can be controlled better. At the same time, the EQ etc can get a deluxe sound - I have the both going thru a AB and can get the Regal sounding pretty much the same. On top of that, the Regal has good verb and great trem.

7. bluesjuke

A question for you Double Deluxe owners, how do your tubes hold up longevity wise?

I was told by the very best source that it is rough on tubes.
    As a reference the original 6V6s (Groove Tube branded JJs) in my 20112 lasted through 5 1/2 years of extensive use.

8. bluesjuke

I saw a trade offer once on here that was looking for another tweed I that have.
    I was tempted and later that same day it was sold and the guy that sold it sent me an offer on my amp, which at the time was for sale.
    I had just pulled the ad when I got the offer.

Another time I saw one in my State for $1000. mint in the Emporium.
    I have also played the head with Mark at the Dallas Guitar Show.

May be that some day I will end up with a Double Deluxe, thus my question on tube longevity.
    I like this amp a lot.

9. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I've only had my DD for about 3 1/2 weeks, so I'm really not qualified to answer your question on that (??), but I will say that in the short time I've owned mine I've played it A LOT and always at loud volumes - 3/4 up on the Bright volume AND hit the front end with a boost - and my amp has been ROCK SOLID with no strange noises, vibrations, cabinet rattle/buzz that I can detect whatsoever. Neither the amp nor the tubes seem to run excessively hot either, so I don't really have anything going on with my amp that might indicate it to be overly hard on tubes?? Now my Vox AC30 is a different story.

10. bluesjuke

Just from the vibrations of being a combo at that wattage as opposed to being a head I was told.

I wouldn't expect a short life due to it just reduced somewhat compared to a 20112.

I could live with it.

Your's sounds like it performs just like I would expect any Victoria too.
    They are tops in my book.

They sing the sweetest song.

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i love a lot of the amps mentioned but the key attraction of the L.E. buster for me was the ginormous sound in a small 1x12 package. i think mine feels heavier than 25lbs but the handle on mine puts all the weight to the top of the amp, so it feels like your carrying it with one finger. i see he's changed the handle and i imagine that makes the box feel lighter.

anyway, if i were consistently cranking my amp over 100dbs and wasn't a weak bastard, i'd buy a bassman or the '57 twin type of amp.

the texotica amps look & sound great, too. i might buy one at the end of the year with a built-in tremolo. i just ordered a reverb tank {from them} to go with my deluxe buster.

12. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly.. Imo the double deluxe really doesn't sound anything like a 5e3 and I've owned and gigged out with both.

13. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Makes me wonder why you ask if the very best source has already told you??

I don't put too much stock into stories like that, I play long and loud often and both my brother in-laws and my 4-6V6 powered amps have ran well, again seeing lots of use going on 4-5 years tubes are still good.

Grungy :confused:

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  14. bluesjuke

Like I said in comparison to my 20112 that got over 5 years of use from the first set.
    I asked to see responses to overall "out in the field" experience.

I think the "very best source" is kind of obvious.

15. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Just to clarify my point, whether there's two or four power tubes I don't think it makes any difference on tube life.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  16. McQuade

McQuade Member

Tungsten Buckwheat should not be missed. Sick amp and does what you are looking for.

17. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Does the double deluxe actually have much clean headroom?

When I was amp shopping the one I played did not--which is why I went with the 35-210, which has almost too much headroom.

18. bluesjuke

Can also vary with which type of rectifier tube is selected.
    5Y3 for 30 watts or a 5AR4 for 40 watts.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  19. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

I have a Victoria 20112 and a Clark Beaufort Ltd. (parallel single-ended circuits; can use 2 6V6's, 2 6L6-types, one of each, etc.) so I can identify with how you feel about the tone (I've also had a number of 5E3-type amps that I haven't been happy with.). I also have some experience with the "higher-powered" 5E3-type amps by master-builders like Mike Clark and Mark Baier (They're the only ones I've experienced that can really get this higher-powered 5E3 idea right; I've also experienced those who've tried but haven't been able to get it right to my taste; I'm sure there are others who do it well; I just haven't had those amps, I guess. [so please don't jump on me for praising Clark and Victoria]). I'm told by great builders and those who apparently know--and it fits my experience--that when you increase the size of the transformers, use different power tubes or rectifiers, make whatever circuit changes might be necessary, etc, etc., you can't really get the same sound of a tweed Deluxe "just more of it." The basic sound or character of the amp has to change--i.e. you just can't have everything. That doesn't mean you can't have a great-sounding amp, though, that's based on the 5E3 circuit design. I also have a Clark Beaufort Custom that has larger transformers, larger cabinet for a 1x12 or 1x15, and can use 2x6L6 + 5AR4 + 12AX7 in V1 (about 35 watts output but perceived output is very loud) or 2x6V6 +5Y3 + 12AY7 in V1. It is a GREAT, GREAT-sounding amp, but it doesn't just sound like a bigger tweed Deluxe. I also have an early Victoria Double Deluxe now in a 1x12 5F4-size pine cabinet that is magnificent. It can use a 5AR4 or 5Y3 rectifier with the four 6V6's for about 40 or 30 watts respectively. But again, it doesn't just sound like more of the tweed Deluxe sound although it may be the closest I've tried. And it certainly isn't changed enough to be like a blackface, reverbed amp or anything that many love but I don't--BF sounds ultra-scooped with sterile cleans to me. If you ran two 5E3 amps together, of course, you'd get louder but you'd still get the same kind of limitations that you've said you don't want in your amp.
    Anyway, this is a topic near-and-dear to me so I weighed-in, which I do rarely here--but I'd say try a Victoria Double Deluxe, especially because you already have great faith in Mark Baier's amps (much more likely you'll find one before you find a Beaufort Custom like I describe above). You definitely won't be unhappy with a DD. I'd also say don't spend your hard-earned money on an amp by a builder you don't know.

20. bluesjuke

Good post Mark.

I dig your band's vibe!