Tweed Deluxe - Cab rattle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eksfiles, Jun 19, 2008.

1. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

I've deduced it down to the back panel which rattles whenever I play an open A. Its kind of annoying, but I know it goes with the tweed territory. Is there anything I can do to help keep the rattling to a minimum?

Suggerstions please....

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Is it the back panel vibrating against the chassis? If so, you should be able to adjust the pressure between the chassis and the cabinet. Or you could put something like tolex, or some soft rubber between the two to reduce the amount of vibration.

3. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Apparently Mark Baier from Victoria Amps keeps a bunch of heavy Fender picks around for that exact reason.

4. bgood

bgood Member

I was thinking if this came up with mine I would:

1. slide the chassis back more to get more pressure on it
    2. buy some gasket material from an auto parts shop and stick it in there. Should handle the heat and shim the panel nicely.

Lot's of ways to fix that one I think. Good luck

5. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Even if you slide the chassis back, there is always going to be a little bit of an arch (just enough to cause a tone) to the wood. Actually, I wonder how well sliding the chassis forward so that they are too far apart to vibrate against each other would work.

6. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

Clark Amps puts two strips of felt-like material all the way across the back panel, which line up with the top and bottom of the chassis. Nice touch...and would be simple to do on your own.

7. Peppy

Peppy Member

Mine did it for a year or so and stopped...if that means anything. Otherwise, some weatherstripping glued down on the panel to the chassis should do it.