Tweed Deluxe guys (clone owners too)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rhp52, Feb 17, 2008.

1. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

If you've changed to a different speaker than what your Tweed Deluxe shipped with, tell me why you still prefer it or why it's worn out its welcome.

I've got a Richter that shipped with a C12N and while I don't dislike the tone, I'm curious about you guys who've switched and why. it may help in deciding if i want to experiment. Please include what guitars you're using.

Oh, I've searched the DB but nothing pops up that quite answers my question.

I've spoken to Jim about Scumbacks, who was helpful, but I'd like input from you.

Thanks!

Rob

2. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

To me, a vintage P12Q is the perfect speaker for a Deluxe. A P12N is too bright. For a more efficient,"rock" sound that still sounds great, a Blue is hard to beat.

3. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Celestion Blue or Gold. No competition IMHO! I've used Weber C12N, C12NT, Blue Dog, Celestion G12H, GB, V30, and a few others I can't remember right now. Currently I have a Celestion Gold in there and it's wonderful. I'm thinking of swapping it back to a Blue so I can use the Gold in another amp. The Gold has a little more low-end to it.

The Celestion alnicos have a beautiful chimey midrange with crisp clear highs and well-defined lows which seem to suit a 5E3 so well. I don't think they suit every amp but they work with the 5E3 like it was meant to be. It's all in the mids. There's a lot going on in there but it never gets muddy or thin.

Other than that I have had surprisingly good results with the G12H! also the Webers are very good too.

4. Doodad

Doodad Member

Mine has a Jensen Neo in it, Lil Dawg, and it sounds fantastic. Great clean sound.

5. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

The Jensens and Webers are good. The Celestion Alnico Blue is the best IMO. Haven't tried the Gold.

This is based on use in my Clark Beaufort Premium.

6. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a Scumback in mine(5E3 clone),an H75-8HP that has been there for a long time,over a year and a half,and continues to refrain from wearing out its welcome.

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mine came with a Weber stock and there is no reason I`ve found to change it.

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Started with a Weber C12N in my Clark Beaufort ('98) -- dark but not too dark, though I eventually switched.

Don't at all agree that a P12N is too bright for a Deluxe, I replaced the C12N with an old Jensen P12N reconed by a friend who is an expert reconer and it is *perfect* for that amp to my ears (and most who've heard it -- actually no one's said a bad word about it, they just "ooh" and "ahh", LOL). I haven't heard it with a Blue but I bet it sounds great.

jc

9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Celestion Gold in my Beaufort (Tweed Deluxe clone) -- recommended by Mike Clark when I was deciding on the specs for my amp, as my Beaufort is higher powered for more clean headroom. The Gold needs time to break in and open up though -- sounded pretty bad when I first got it, but 4 months later is sounding really, really good.

10. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I have a Weber 12A125 in mine. It sounds great!

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I like the Jensen RI in my Victoria.
    If need be someday I would replace it with the same.

12. tybone

tybone Member

Mine came with a weber 12A125. Then I put in a Tone Tubby alnico. It has Tightened up the bass, added fidelity and punch and makes it almost impossible to get a bad sound out of the amp. I also like the tone tubby because it does not put out the ultra high end frequencies that your typical celestion does.

What ever speaker is in there I do prefer the alnicos.

Cheers
    Larry

13. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

I have a Jensen P12Q on mine and I´m pretty happy with it. Not thinking about changing it.

14. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

So far lots of choices and everyone seems happy w/ their spkr. Hmmm
    I've heard good things about the Celestion Blues, would anyone have any clips they'd care to post?

15. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I too am partial to Blues.

I've always been curious tho' to see what a C.Rex would be like... anyone try that?

16. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

Same here. Man, what sound!

17. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

I'm using a Lentz Tele primarily through the deluxe. how would you dscribe the high end of a P12Q?

18. melody maker

melody maker Member

19. Dave

Dave Member

My 5E3 came with a Weber 12A125-O and I didn't care for it. Too much honk and a weak low end. I replaced it with a Celestion Blue, which I like much better, but I've always wondered how the amp would sound with a more scooped british speaker like a G12H. The 5E3 and Celestion Blue both have strong mids, I sometimes think it's too much of a good thing.

20. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

That's where the P12 Q shines. When clean, it (and most Jensens) have a detailed, shimmery top end that stops short of icepickey. Beautiful sound. When the amp is cranked the top end compresses , taking any nasty harsh edges off and giving it a woody ( i know everyone uses this word, but in this case it fits) sustain.
    I find the P12N doesn't compress the same.
    The mids are also great, and very rock and roll, though not as aggressive as a Celestion. If you want firm bottom end end, however, you should look somewhere else.