Tweed Deluxe question - Please HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eksfiles, Jan 31, 2008.

1. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Is this how a tweed deluxe is suppose to behave?? I have a silly question concerning the tone control. I noticed that when I plug into the bright inputs, the tone control behaves quite normal. As I turn it up, the treble increases. However, when I plug into the normal inputs, the tone control works as follows: The treble increases after about 3 on the dial, up to about 9, then anything past 9, the treble drops, and it becomes>bassy again. Its like the tone control was wired funny or something. The sweep is totally off. Should this be happening, or is this how the original tone control works? Thanks in advance.

2. justonwo

justonwo Member

What kind of guitar are you using? Deluxes can be a little funny because the controls are interactive. It probably depends how you set the two volumes, no?

My guess is that it's totally normal. Who built it, by the way?

3. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

I'm using strats, a tele and a lespaul. The amp is a Collins Tweed Deluxe clone. It is amazing, however, I'm not sure if this is how the tone control should be acting like through the normal channel. FWIW, I do not prefer to jump the channels.

I'm talking about playing stright into one channel at a time.

4. justonwo

justonwo Member

Coming from a reputable dealer, I'm sure it's quite normal. I've built two Deluxes, and I remember them doing some weird things depending on which input you're using and where the volumes are set. Does this happen when you change the volume settings? (Remember, the volumes are interactive, too. You can change the sound by using the "non-active" volume control.)

As long as you can get the treble characteristics you're looking for, I wouldn't worry about it.

5. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

ok. I understand that the volume controls are interactive, however, the tone sweep works completely properly on the bright channel. The sweep works weird on the normal channel. Treble increse till about 9, then a treble drop from 10-12 on the tone dial. I just thought it should act the same on both channels no?

6. Trout

Trout Member

The normal volume control is not directly effected by the tone pot as per the original schematic. However, indirectly you will find that the tone control will slightly alter the brightness at around 70% of its range. It will actually be brighter at 70% Vs 100%

This is perfectly norrmal.
    Now, through proper use of the volume control interaction you get a load of other variations as well as with channel jumpering.

The combinations are endless.

Trout

7. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Trout; Is this how the controls react on your Richter amp?

Anyone else out there with a tweed deluxe clone have their tone control behave in this manner???

8. Trout

Trout Member

Yep, Its 100% stock and 100% normal.

9. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Any other tweed deluxe player care to chime in?

Just out of curiousity, could the tone knob be modded, so that it adds treble all the way to 12 on the tone knob, while just using the normal volume?

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

But that is part of the charm of the Tweed Deluxe.

Best, Pete.

11. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

I was told by my builder and by a few other players that this is quite normal. I do think however, that the tone control should sweep all the way from 1-12 with treble increasing.

Mine, when used on the normal channel only starts to add treble on around 3, and continues to add slight treble to aboput 9, then the treble seems to drop back to a dullness from 10-12.

On the bright channel, I get all the treble I need between 2 and 7. The sweep is accurate on this channel. Should I send it back to be checked out?

The builder stated that all his tweed deluxes act this way. I just wanted to know if this is normal or if something was wrong with my amp.

12. justonwo

justonwo Member

I don't mean to be rude eksfiles, but you've now had two people tell you it's totally normal - three if you include the builder. You're talking about a very old circuit design that has some quirks. If you want something more sophisticated, then you should really consider another amp.

13. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Justontwo; You're right. I totally believe Trout, and yourself, as well as the builder. The only reason I ask is that I had someone who has a DIY 5E3, tell me that his amp's tone control works all the way through 12, on the tone dial for both channels.

I just thought that it should go to 12, but if it doesn't I guess its something that I could mod if I ever decided to.

Sorry to sound like such a drag....

Thanks.

14. go7

go7 Member

Mission amps has a mod kit to address this characteristic. Bruce at Mission tells me it won`t change the basic sound at all just make the volume and tone controls more usable.I have one coming and plan to install it. My all time fav amp.Good Luck!

15. Trout

Trout Member

I would think if it is really "THAT" important, you could have someone mod it with a dual (ganged pot) then wire it in just like the bright channel, Why would be beyond me though.

I use the Bright channel 90% of the time, in fact, the only time I have used the normal channel more than 10 minutes was with a Mic & Harp.

Trout

16. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

I plug into only the bright channel, but use the normal volume control's interaction to adjust final tone and overdrive......

17. hasserl

hasserl Member

The action you describe is perfectly normal. When plugged into the Normal channel the tone control acts only as a treble bleed off. BEcause the two controls are connected, when you turn it up past about half way the treble will bleed off thru the Bright channel. It's just part of the way the amp works, due to the connection of the two channels, and the design of the tone control.

You can change this with the Vol/Tone mod mentioned above, but you loose the interaction of the channels if you do this, which many people really like. It also changes the way the volume controls on the amp work, making the transition from clean to dirty more gradual. Whether you like that or not is subjective.

18. Griz

Griz Member

Here's a cheap fix: just get a sharpie marker and inscribe a "12" at the appropriate point; then just never crank 'er past that.

Perfect.

:AOK:D

19. Trout

Trout Member

+10000000000000000

Brilliant! Thats is the most cost efficient
    [​IMG]

20. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I use an old 1956 tweed Deluxe all the time but I never use the mic channel except for the midscoop interactive thing. Lately I've mostly been gigging my Dr Z Maz jr head with a 15" JBL. Last weekend I took out my old tweed Deluxe with a Celestion Century neo speaker in it. With that speaker the Deluxe has within a fraction the same amount of clean volume as the Z with the JBL cab. I don't like that speaker with any other amp but it turns that little Deluxe into a great sounding light weight gigging combo. It also has very good bass response. I prefer a 12AY7 in V1 on all of the Fender amps that call for it.