Tweed Deluxe Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PaulS2, Feb 12, 2008.

1. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

Posting for a un-internetted brother who has a Victoria Tweed deluxe which is just too dull and bassy for him when playing clean (lower volume).

Sounds fine cranked but that's not what he is after so he's thinking of a speaker upgrade. It already has the alnico Blue upgraded speaker in it.

He wants airy, lively and crisp - not the sluggish, darker tone he's got...turning up treble isn't doing it. He knows amps (electronics) inside and out but speakers are not his forte.

He's thinking a Celection greenback but only because the name is so common......he's out in the sticks and has very little access to gear to hear and try.

Suggestions for airy, crisp clean sound? Thanks.

2. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Weber 12A125. By far my favorite for 5E3s. I don't like the Blues in them.

At the same time, dull is not a word I'd use to describe the sound of a Deluxe played clean, even if it has a Blue in it. So I'm wondering about the amp itself. "Low volume" doesn't mean below the volume jump at 1 or 2 on the dial, does it? If you're below that you're never going to be happy with the tone. But I doubt that's the case.

FWIW, many people... maybe even most... run these with the tone knob all the way up.

3. monstermike

monstermike Member

Have him plug into the Bright Channel with the volume around 4 or 5. Turn the Normal Channel volume up to about 10, maybe even all the way up. It'll scoop out the mids and leave the tone much sparklier.

4. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

Thanks....probably overly-bassy would be better than dull for a description.

Turning the treble up too far it gets a little harsh sounding - he's used to the crispness of a tweed Princton and Super using Jensen Q series. He's thinking the speaker in there right now is somewhat similar to that so is looking at a different direction with the Celestion.

Lower volume clean = 2.5 to 3 on the dial.

5. monstermike

monstermike Member

Have him try the Normal channel trick before he changes out the alnico Blue - that's a pretty chimey sounding speaker.

6. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

Ok, I will.

If that isn't doing it for him....any opinions on what a greenback would sound like there. I have no experience at all.

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

8. Hacksaw

:AOK

At low volumes I turn the normal channel vol control almost off and it will remove the overly prominent bass.

9. hogy

hogy Member

Works fine for me. It is simply a link to TGP search results for "Deluxe speaker". About 5000 of them or so. This question is a TGP favorite with search handicapped users. :D

10. Hacksaw

I am getting the " Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. " like the search info doesnt carry with the link. (Just a guess)

It is a favorite! Thanks.. :D

11. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Me too.

12. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

a real jensen P12N(my personal #1)or vox blue for max efficiency, a real jensen P12P, Q or R for raunch and incredible sweetness at below crunch volumes. a real jensen C12N for a tighter efficient american tone. celesbian greenback or vintage 30? not for me at all, a deluxe has more than enough mids as it is. i'd love to hear a deluxe with a fane alnico, i bet that would be Real interesting...

btw, the tweed deluxe has the best #2(lower gain)inputs of any amp i've ever owned. must be the simplicity of that circuit. don't be afraid to use 'em

13. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Plug it in to a 2x12 cab with weber 12F100 Ts .Or switch out the speaker for a weber 12A125. I have this speaker And its awesome. The original jensen P12R or P12Q are the best sounding but dont handle the volume very well. Spearers magnets age 1% a year so that has alot to do with it using old speakers. The weber 12A125 takes a while to break in but the reward is well worth it.

14. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I blew the stock jensen in my Victoria 20112 within 30 min of getting it (only on eight). So I looked and finally settled on a Emi Red Fang. It is a tight fit and you have to pull the chassis. Best equip mod I ever did.