Tweed Deluxe Tube Questions

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Amitar, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Amitar

Amitar Member

I have a tweed deluxe style amp.
    What is the difference in running a GZ34 or a 5Y3 rectifier tube?
    Do I have to have a tech rebias if I change tubes from 5881 to 6V6?

2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

First: DO NOT run a 5E3 with 6V6 tubes using a GZ34 if it is currently set up to work using a 5Y3. The GZ34 will increase voltages to a point that MAY exceed your filter caps maximum voltage rating, and will definitely exceed the tubes max voltage rating (unless you're running JJ 6V6's). Using 5881's or 6L6GC's MAY be possible if the PT is up to the task (can supply enough heater current). It will require a new cathode resistor (10 watt rating). You could use the GZ34 with 5881's if the filter caps are rated high enough to take the added voltage.

3. wyatt

wyatt Member

Roughly 50-70VDC higher plate voltage with the GZ34, depending on your starting HT voltage.

The rest, as noted, is all up to whats in the amp.

As a rule of thumb for any amp, higher plate voltages increase headroom, but also make everything stiffer (some would say more sterile) and less touch responsive.

4. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

I'm surprised how often I got away with stuff like this before I knew better. Never ruined an amp. Solid state rectifier plugged into a Deluxe Reverb...voltages shoot up to around 500....mmmmm snappy tone......

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Quite often, people get lucky running red lights while driving drunk. It's not something anyone should recommend.