Tweed Deluxe with more headroom and volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stratoben127, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

After a long journey to see what amp I like I finally decided that the tweed and brownface style amps are definitely the kind of tone I'm looking for with pre-plexi Marshall's in second. Of these amps, I specifically like the 5e3 tweed Deluxe. I love how compressed and raw it gets but I also like to get some nice cleans at higher volumes even with my Les Paul. I was wondering if there is any sort of Tweed Deluxe style amp that's about twice the power or maybe a bit more and can be a bit louder? I really like the Allen Brown sugar because of the raw control and reverb. It seems like it can go from Blackface to Brownface to Tweed to Marshall with the raw control and I like the full EQ. On the same front, the Quinn Sweet Thunder seems really cool too. Any help? By the way I'm playing a Strat with low output pickups and a Les Paul with P.A.F styled pickups. I play mostly blues and blues rock with a lot of funk too. Sort of a mixture of Hendrix, Neil Young, The Allmans, The Dead, Free, Cream and Zepplin.

2. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Victoria Double deluxe, Tungsten Crema wheat with 6l6's would get you there.

3. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Amp forum will get you more responses.

4. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Crap, you're right. I accidentally put it in here. Stupid iPhone makes me click the wrong thing all the time.

5. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Is there a way to edit that without having to rewrite it?

6. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

You can PM a mod t have the thread moved. Might take an hour.

Or copy your post and paste it into a new thread in the amp forum and then delete this one.

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If you haven't tried one yet, an enhanced 5E3 with bigger transformers that takes 6L6s and a 5AR4 might be the ticket.

8. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Vicky Double Deluxe all the way: 5E3 preamp w/4 6V6 power tubes in a 2X12 pine cab (when I ordered mine I had Mark install a Triode/Pentode switch which was a 3 pos power switch: center off, up full pwr, down 1/2 pwr - handy) - or check out the EC sig tweeds - the biggest one is a tweed twin with half power and the ability to play through one or both of the 12" speakers, and you get swampy bias trem... might be worth a listen.

9. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

From just my own experience...

Just a thought, "more headroom" and 5E3 do not always go hand and hand.

I've been experimenting with the 5E3 for about 6 years.

At this point I've got a 12 watt and a 35 watt 5E3.

Even though the 35 watt has the Paul-C mod, runs 5881's and a GZ34 recto tube.

It's tight and loud, but still - once I start turning it up, it's just a very loud 5E3.
    It's starts breaking up close to the same point as the lower powered one, just much louder. So I guess if you just keep it at lower volumes this would give you what you want.

Perhaps the other models mentioned have a more highly modified design to get more headroom, but the 5E3, just likes to break up past 2 or 3.

This is just my experience, thought I'd share.

- D

10. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

If you can, check out a Blankenship Fatboy with sour cream (yes, that really is what its called).

It is 36 watts w 6l6 tubes, 22 w 6v6 tubes, has a super reverb based power section, tweed bandmaster output transformer, unusual tone stack (didn't get details from Roy on that), presence control, and 6 way knob to go from tweed to BF and back again. 15" alnico in a great tweed box. Weighs about 40 lbs.

There was one in the emporium not long ago at a good price.

11. freaksho

freaksho Member

you gave the OP a viable suggestion but it doesn't sound like you realize it, lol. a louder 5E3 is exactly what he asked for. more clean headroom means clean at louder volume. when you say the louder one breaks up at the "same point" do you mean same number on the volume knob? i don't see why he would care about that if it's louder.

12. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm really liking the Tungsten Buckwheat and Crema Wheat. I just cranked my Hot Rod Deluxe's clean channel and I like it but it's so loud it's insane and could use a bit more of a beefy, saggy sound. This is probably because of its solid state rectifier. I think 30 watts for the Buckwhet may be too much?

13. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

You might consider the next powerful amp up the ladder from the tweed era: a Super (See Victoria or a less expensive clone). They're around 25 watts or so with two 6L6s, fair headroom yet great for raunch. Otherwise, try experiementing with preamp tubes and speakers with your 5e3. Good luck!

PS: My 18 watt Dr. Z Carmen Ghia has fair headroom, but doesn't get the chainsaw grind found with your 5e3. The Ghia has surprisingly sweet, low volume clean tones. Also, the Ghia's 18 watts are conservatively rated!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  14. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

Depending on how much louder and how much more headroom you seek, a tweed Bassman should work. The 4x10 configuration gives mo' better bass and dispersion, and they can get crazy loud, but they sound great.

15. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

16. McQuade

McQuade Member

I have the Tungsten Buckwheat and it is awesome and just what you are looking for.

17. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

18. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

The Bassman is way more of an amp than I need. I think 20 to 30 watts is where I wanna be. I'm not sure if I want a full tone stack or just a tone knob. Is there any Dr.Z amp that would be good?

19. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Maybe you should look into a tweed super or pro. My victoria super is 28 watts and has more clean headroom than a 5e3 and sounds great.

20. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

Yep, breaking up at the same volume knob level. Just seems like if he's looking for more head room, it would be not past 2 on the volume knob - with humbuckers - that's the max, after that's it's just more of a good thing - but nothing close to clean unless you're rolling back the volume a bunch, even then.

I knew what I was telling him, just seems like a waste of most of the amp if the main tone you use is the volume never above 2.

Sounded like he was looking for a cleaner 5E3. IMO it's called a different model amp.

- D