Tweed Filter Caps and Astrons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by atomicmassunit, Jan 20, 2008.

1. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

Just picked up the most amazing tweed amp, and it has all the original filter caps and coupling caps. Wierdly enough, they're not leaky, and the filters aren't pregnant looking or spewing, they look 100% ok and there is NO hum in the amp. It sounds healthy as a horse. Any reason I should change it or should I just leave it alone and play it and keep an eye on em?

2. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

How do you know they're not leaky?
    Just curious.

3. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

If it is dead mint there will be people that will pay more for it with the original caps. In that case I would leave them in there. If it has normal wear you won't hurt the value by doing a cap job an keeping the originals in a baggie w/ the amp. The amp will probably sound better if you change them.

Just change the electrolytics. Don't mess with any of the yellow Astrons.

4. sideman

sideman Member

A couple years ago I bought a '60 5F6-A Bassman from the original owner. I instructed my tech to go through it, but leave as much as possible original -- i.e., don't change what doesn't need changing. We both assumed that the original caps would have to go. We were very surprised to find they were still good. I've been playing it (gigging) with no problems. My take on the vintage amps is don't mess with them unless necessary. Rocco - the tech, Bill Carruth of Carruth Electronics, had recently acquired some device that could test caps.

5. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

Checked for DC after the coupling caps. The filters I'm assuming are good because of the lack of hum, proper voltages in the amp, and looking at them. Do you have a more definitive way?

6. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Get up on the wrong side of the bed today? Sounded like a polite, simple question to me.