Tweed Pro Users - Lemme hear about yours!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Strat-O, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

I'd like to see how many folks own and use a Tweed Pro (1x15), either an new 'replica' or an original. I'd love to hear what you use them for, which guitars you use with them, and how much you like it...or not.

2. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I built one, I call it the Celtic Aislinn 1x15. I love it. you can run it in cathode bias or fixed bias mode. Also, the NFB is defeatable.

It eats single coils for lunch. Humbuckers are good, but Tele's and Strats and my Rick 360 are awesome!

3. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I've got one with the head built by TGP'er Wakarusa (Todd Shcok from Wakarusa Amps). I made the cabinet. I run a Weber 15A150 with it and love it. It's a stock circuit with a few tweaks... It has a great master volume and a switch/pot that cuts/adds negative feedback to the circuit. Killer amp. I have Teles, Strats, Les Pauls, and Gretsch Jet w/Dearmonds. THe tweed sounds great with everything, especially when I use the negative feedback to tailor its response to the guitar. Lots of fun!

4. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

Too cool. Man I bet those amps sound killer. What kind of music do you guys play with them?

5. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I have a real nice one built by Stu Hopkins, PTP wired, pine cab, and an old Jensen P15N, it is one of my all time favorite amps, and perfect in every way.

6. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Mostly Blues/Rock. A little country for flavor. The tweed sound is good for all of them, even country if you like a little hair on it. I am particularly impressed with the tweed amps ability to clean up with a Tele and the guitar's volume knob. The top end is still there! My blackface Fenders don't do that!

7. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have had mine since 1975. It was my main gigging amp until this year, when I retired it. I found that it worked best with Strats and Teles, but it was great with my Gretsch guitars as well. This is the real deal, a narrow-panel late 50s' tweed Pro.

8. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I forgot to add, my personal 1x15 has a JBL D130F in it. I know that's not a "period corrrect" speaker choice, but it's a great speaker nonetheless.

9. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I have an original. it belongs to my bassplayer. Needs a lot of work. Not to mention, it's got the wrong speaker, a EVM 15B

10. hogy

hogy Member

Big Mike, I want to buy that speaker for my bass rig! Can I swap you/your buddy something more vintage appropriate for it? Let me know.

Hogy

11. big mike

Likely not a problem Hogy. I'll double check with him this week and email you. Take a couple picks and send em to you as well. He was using it as a bass amp. Blew and threw away the stock speaker, and put this in.:crazyguy

12. hogy

hogy Member

I have two Pros, a '54 and a '59. I love the way those circuits sound, but I hate 15" guitar speakers with a passion. Both my Pros have been converted to a 2x10 configuration using old 16 Ohm Celestions. That basically turns them into tweed Supers with a bigger cabinet and much better speakers. It's a night and day difference.

Hogy

13. hogy

hogy Member

That would be great, please e-mail me. I can fix that amp up for you guys too, just need the chassis.

Hogy

14. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Now THAT'S a cool amp Hogy.

In high school we used to buy Blonde Bassmans and Tremoluxes and replace the speakers with Celestion 10's or 12's depending - sounded AWESOME.

I DO like the 15" in a Tweed Pro, but 2x10's would sound amazing.

Dana

15. big mike

Yeah that's a helluva idea....

16. hogy

hogy Member

I kinda stole it though. Used to be a big Junior Watson fan back in the day and loved his tone. I'd read he used a Tweed Pro, so I got one. Mine sounded nothing like Junior's.
    As luck would have it, my band opened up for Canned Heat feat. Jr. Watson and I got to check out his amp. It was a Tweed Pro alright, but mounted in a custom Tweed Bassman cabinet with 4 10s. He also had a brown Concert OT in it. His tone was unbelievable that night.

Anyone with a Pro who thinks they like their 15" speaker should at least once plug that amp into some different cabinets. A Tweed Pro through an AC30 cab with Blues will make you weep like a baby once you go back to that trash can lid of a stock speaker.

Hogy