Tweed Super --- "It sounds like a ..." Or it has its own thing going on--Which is it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KissTone, Feb 9, 2015.

1. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

I've never played a tweed Super (5F4?), don't really know of any famous recordings where people say, "Now that's the sound of a Super!" and the YouTube demos out there are, well, YouTube demoes that don't tell me too much.

So, for those in the know, how do you describe the tone of a Super? Is it its own animal which must be played to be understood, or would you say it sounds a lot like a [insert amp model here]?

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Very similiar to a bandmaster..

(Search tweed super and you'll get lots fo youtube hits with current and former users).

Cranked up...it gets almost marshally.

THink Montrose on the Rock Candy.

3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

This is a favorite of mine for videos

4. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

A tweed super I played had the absolute most sustain I've ever gotten. With a tele with regular single coils and the amp set clean as a whistle bends and single notes held and bloomed forever. It was ridiculous. This was a wide panel version btw

5. m1911

m1911 Member

My kid has a Victoria 35210 shown back-right.....
    It has the perfect balance of Tone, Volume and Raunch.....
    It holds together much tighter than a Deluxe, and a 2x10 Combo in a Pine Box is VERY easy to haul around.
    Whether he's playing Stones or Country.....with a Les Paul or Strat....
    Seems to be the PERFECT Amplifier that covers a lot of ground sounding great the entire time.
    I see why Mark Baier (owner of Victoria) says this is his favorite amp....

[​IMG]

6. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

It's too bad Jim only spent about a minute discussing the Super - I would have loved to hear more! Didn't realize the early Teles were meant to be the Super's mate.

7. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

I really like the tweed super (I've had a Vicky 35210 and a Clark Penrose). Not too loud and can stay pretty clean if needed. Still has that nice tweed thing going on when cranked. I also love the fact that you have three EQ controls to shape tone (plus the bright and normal channel blending). Very portable to boot.

8. KissTone

Maybe I need to check out one. I'm getting in one of those dangerous moods where I'm looking at my 1974x and SFDR and thinking, "Hmm . . . I wonder what else I should try?" ;)

9. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

IIRC The Super's pre-amp and tone stack are very similar to the Bandmaster's- more "evolved" than a Deluxe, Champ, Vibrolux, or Pro, but not quite as evolved as the Bassman.
    Every time I've heard a tweed Super, it has been wonderful. If you've played a 410 Bassman Reissue, imagine that, only thicker, nastier, and richer at lower volume levels.

10. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

I lucked out and found this 57 Chassis disguised in a head shell when someone was clearing out his basement.I've restored it into a Larry Rodgers cab.
    My other tweeds are a champ,Deluxe and Bassman and the super is the most giggable of the bunch.
    Reasonable to carry not overly loud and tweed all the way .
    [​IMG]

11. KissTone

Oh, you guys aren't helping. Now you're just inducing GAS. ;)

12. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I was lucky enough to find a 55' Super with 6V6 power tubes (5E4). It was all-original right down to the tubes!

Sounds really, really good. My tech got weak in the knees after he saw/played it!

The notes bloom/sustain like no other... definitely has its own thing going on!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  13. KissTone

Can you swap other power tubes in these, by the way? 5881 - 6L6 - or even 6V6?

14. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

The only real mistake I've made in life the last couple years was trading mine away. The amp was remarkably touch-responsive. This is just a guitar, cord, Strymon Flint, and the amp:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/atomschmitt/good-hearted-woman[/soundcloud]
    [soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/atomschmitt/wicked-twisted-road[/soundcloud]

15. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure it's very similar in sound to the Pro.

16. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

You can certainly swap 5881s and 6L6s in some of the newer tweeds that have biasing capabilities. I have the Victoria 35210, and I don't believe that 6V6s can be used in that amp, but I could be mistaken.

The Super and many of their knockoffs are pretty cool amps if you've never played one.

17. Vibrolux

Vibrolux Gold Supporting Member