Tweed tone good? Cream tweed bad? WTF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slopeshoulder, Jan 27, 2008.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Question:
    If manymanymany peeps cream for tweed tone, whay do manymanymany peeps criticize Clapton's tweed tone with reunited Cream? Is it a notalgia thing, or do we really dislike tweed tone when we hear it?
    Do you like tweed tone? So, do you like Clapton's Cream Tweed tone?

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I've not liked Clapton's tone since some time shortly after D&D. Love his playing, but not his tone. Especially when he was playing those mid boosted signature Strats.

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Too many people expected a Marshall stack at the reunion shows. They need to get over it. Maybe they were hoping for another "KISS" type show? Things change, tone evolves.

Clapton could play a kazoo and I'd watch.

YMMV..................

4. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

a strat into a tweed twin is one of the greatest sounds out there IMO, but woman tone it is not. also it sounded a bit thin for a power trio. that sound works really well for clapton in his current setting even if i don't particuraly care for the music.

5. eru

eru Member

IMO, Clapton sounds better into a marshall, especially recently (one more car, one more rider, for example).

His Fender tweed tone always bothers me, but so does everyone else's.

6. Renardm

Renardm Member

If you watch the DVD of the Cream reunion, he actually said they tried to use Marshall stacks again but it just didn't work for what they were trying do so he went with the tweeds.

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Raspy top and mushy bottom, is that what you're complaing about?

8. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I actually like his tone, and I'm a big EC fan. However, friends that have discussed it with me seem to blame their dislike on his guitar (that 25 dB mid-boost). I can't really tell when he's using it and when he isn't, but for my tastes his tone is fine.

Good tone is in the ear of the beholder. (just like Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder).

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

IMHO, the guitar tone on the Cream Reunion is OK, not bad. I remember those Marshalls too, but that was then ....

But Clapton at this year's Crossroads concert in Chicago sounded freakin awesome, I thought.

I played a Fender Low Power Tweed Twin Reissue at Jensen's Music in Santa Barbara - I think that's what EC was using. It sounds absoultely fantastic - pretty loud, but it sounds great. I mean a nice, deep grind - like an old Tweed amp oughtta give you.

My two cents, Dana O.

10. karmadave

karmadave Member

Clapton's 40-watt Tweed Twins sound great. It's the mid-boost, in his Signature Strats, that I don't much care for. This Marshall JCM800 head is powering a Leslie cabinet...

-KD

11. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I've never liked Clapton. He's done some things in his career that warranted attention and he's done some of the most boring crap ever recorded.

I will give him credit for Layla, great song, until he turned around and ruined it in the nineties.

12. meta4hed

meta4hed Member

Took EC 30 years to sound as good with a Fender as he did in his Gibson days. Re: the reunion, he never got boring, somehow, even tho his tone didn't change. Amazing.

13. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

:joHello, its the strat! Cream=Gibson or go home!