Tweed Twin sound compared to Twin Reverb sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Figaro, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I'm familiar with the sound of a Twin Reverb and love the sound of 2x12 speakers. Does the 40 watt tweed Twin have the same big full sound but with a little less clean headroom?

2. zenas

zenas Member

You mean the 5E8-A right ? It's going to have less headroom and it's not voiced the same.

Best bet is to try one if you can. I can't discribe sound anymore than I can discribe colors to a blind man. :)

3. gmann

gmann Member

A more apt comparison would be the big box 4X6L6 80w model. Again, not voiced the same, but loud, great headroom.

4. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Thanks, I know the volume will be different and a 40 watt tweed Twin isn't going to have as much clean headroom. I will actually prefer that because I'm going to use it at home. I love the big, full sound of a Twin Reverb's 2x12 speakers and want to find out if he 40 watt tweed Twin has that same big, full sound at lower volumes?

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The BF amp will have more top end "sparkle" and a more "mid-scooped" sound in general.

6. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Tweed will be much stronger in the mids vs BF scooped sound.

7. bratch

bratch Member

Not the same! An old pro reverb should (with sarcastic quotes) be what you're looking for, but in my experience, nothing can replicate the ~100 watt bf twin sound.

8. sideman

sideman Member

tweed is fatter

9. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Does a Pro Reverb have a smaller output transformer than a 40 watt tweed Twin, or the same size? Are the voltages close to the same?

10. Mr God

Mr God Member

The tweed twin is less reverby ;) on a more serious note it has more midrange because of the tonestack. Blackface = mid-scooped sound.

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Tweed - your typical old Marshall sound, rounder and softer overall, the basis for many, many lead tones.
    Twin - clear and hifi sounding, with big bass and extended highs, much more headroom, better as a clean amp.

12. pbmw

pbmw Member

Think Keef for the low power tweed twin
    BF and Tweeds are not the same animal
    Tweed has less headroom. It's fatter. More in your face.
    I love mine.

13. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I'm more interested in any differences in the "fullness" of their sounds. Does the 40 watt tweed Twin have as much low end as the TR?

14. Dumb Bell

Dumb Bell Member

A close friend of mine has a '56. Although someone put a solid state rectumfrier in it, and more modern speakers, it remains one of my fave amps. Been trying to get it from him for years. Big tight low end, loud enough. Sings when you turn it up halfway. The reissue is a good amp. I put a tweed Twin output trans and speakers in my blackface Twin Reverb, also a great rig.

15. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Fig:

The 40 watt tweed twin has plenty of low end. It's also a loud 40 watts, closer to the later twin than you'd think that way. As others have mentioned, a very different tonestack. For example, you can crank the bass knob on the TT and get usable sounds. With any BF amp, bass had to come down as volume goes up. A little is all you can use.

The sound is more full, fatter with the TT, whereas the later twin has a more spare, mid-scooped type of sound. Speakers are another reason for the difference. My tweed twin was the fender RI with Weber designed alnico speakers. Those speakers are beautiful. Loud, not early breakup, but you get the warm compression at higher volumes that alnicos typically bring. So different from the sharper, always cleaner sounds of powerful ceramics in the blackface or SF twin.

At least with the TT I had, the rectifier setup was another distinctive feature tonally. Two rectifier tubes, where the twin has a SS rectifier (I think). The tweed twin is very responsive to right hand position and attack, especially obvious when palm muting at higher volumes. A bit of sag, a lot of bounce. It feels and sounds a lot different than any later fender I tried.
    MD

16. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Thanks mad dog, very helpful info.

Does anyone know if the 40 watt tweed Twin has a larger output transformer than blackface 40 watt models? Also, is there a difference in the voltages?

17. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

You want a Pro Reverb. Big full sound if the speakers are good. You could also add a SS rectifier module in the rectifier socket to get even closer to the twin.
    The tweeds are voiced quite a bit differently. More middy, earlier breakup, you might say more "grainy" if that means anything. Depends on what you want , but if you like the clean sound of a BF style Twin... I would stick with BF or SF circuit. Another option is the Bandmaster Reverb head with your own 2 x 12 box.

18. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

How does the Pro Reverb's output transformer and voltages compare to the 5E8A tweed Twin? I actually would prefer earlier breakup of the tweed as long as it has a big full sound.

19. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I have a low power TT reissue, it's my favorite amp. I like the cleans on it better than the Twin Reverb. They're a little thicker, harmonically richer, not as hi-fi. If you're using this at home it will fill the room with sound. With the 2 rectifier setup you can pull one of them to get a little quicker breakup, I usually run mine this way. It's a LOUD 40 watts, sounds great at low volumes though.

20. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

The 5E8A tweed Twin sounds perfect for me.

Now to decide which one... a clone, the Fender reissue or the Fender EC Twinolux? I assume the Twinolux is much more versatile, but does it sound as good?