Tweed vibrolux troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by angusfan, Nov 21, 2013.

1. angusfan

angusfan Member

I have a 57 vibrolux, it worked fine. I took it with me out one night to play, worked just fine. I was careful moving it around. Now its have a problem.

You can hear it humming, but the power tubes Don't power up by the looks of them but the 5Y3 does. And the ploit light doesnt come on. No sound.

Before I take it in to have it looked over, is there anything I can check to see if it's just something simple?

Thanks,
    Kory

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Is the hum heard through the speaker? The pilot light could be blown. Simple fix.

Plug straight into the amp with just a guitar and cable. Try different guitars and cables. Make sure the speaker is plugged into the spkr jack.

Do the power tubes get warm? Try different preamp tubes if you have spares.

3. angusfan

angusfan Member

Hum isnt thru the speakers, you can hear the hum of the transformer. Power tubes dont get warm. I just put in a new pre-amp tube and it was working for a week or two. Cable and guitar is all I use, and have replaced both to see if that was the problem.

Thank you for the info.

So now power tubes, fuse is fine. 5Y3 lights ups. Pre-amp tube come to think about it, can't remember if it powers up. I will check that tonight. No pilot light,

4. angusfan

angusfan Member

I would like some help if anyone can.

No power tubes or preamps warm up. But RF tube does. No sound. Changed both preamps.

5. WaltC

WaltC Member

if the pilot light doesn't come on and the power/pre-amp tubes don't light up, there is (at least) a problem with the heater circuit, they're all driven from the 6.3V tap off the power transformer, the rectifier (*not* RF) tube is powered from a different (5V) tap off the PT

This is a valuable and great sounding amp (potentially at least) and it's sounds like it's time for a trip to the amp doctor.

6. 76strat

76strat Member

Kory--you didn't mention whether your '57 has had a cap job and the other usual amp doctor visits/nosejobs, etc. Perhaps the real experts on here (certainly not me) can help you further if you give exact description on what has been done, what is original (as best you know, etc.), etc. I have a '58 quite similar to yours that had a noticeable loss of volume and nasty overdrive/fuzz imparted after about 10 minutes of playing. The cure was, of all things, a new fuse. The old one (perhaps original) had condensation in it, which I would have thought would have rendered it non-functional. My amp tech always thought that if the fuse ain't blown, it's still good. Not so. We also cleaned all of the pots and input jacks. You'd be surprised at how much help doing those simple changes will do to the overall product (as I'm sure you know). Problem solved for mine. Good luck with yours--they're great amps.

7. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Bummer,

+ 2 What the other's have said.

Worst case:
    Including, that power transformer is beyond the end of its useful life.
    The enamel coated wire in the transformer may have degraded to
    the point where the heaters no longer work.

It may be time for a rewind or buy a new power transformer for it.

Best case:
    There's always the possibility that one of the heater wires broke off
    at the soldered connection maybe at the lamp?

Good luck.

8. angusfan

angusfan Member

I got the amp repaired, it had a ground wire break on it. Along with a power cord that the amp repair man didn't like. We are rewireing the route of it.

9. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

that is good that it wasnt worst case. : )