Tweed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by userd, Aug 18, 2005.

1. userd

userd Member

Is a tweed covered cabinet "better" than a tolex covered one?

What are the sound differences?

2. calieng

calieng Member

...depends on whether you are using vintage NOS tweed or recent reproduction tweed...the vintage stuff sounds killer.

Everyone knows tolex kills tone...

:)

3. userd

userd Member

I guess its recent production tweed.
    So this is still a "yes"?

And why is then everybody using tolex?

Does using nitro lacquer matter?

4. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

It's a well known fact, proven over and over again in listening comparisons, that PURPLE TOLEX sounds way better than anything else. Though red tolex is very close with maybe alittle more presence:D

5. userd

userd Member

Thanks

6. calieng

calieng Member

I think as far as the cabinet goes, the speaker baffle material and thickness is a consideration and also the dimensions of the cabinet and material (pine, plywood, concrete???)

Tolex vs Tweed maters less than 1% I would guess...although tolex probably does dampen the sound ever so slightly. I would say Tweed that is lacquered would resonant with the cab better than tolex, which would dampen the cab vibration.

+1 for lacquered tweed!

P.S. I had a hardwood varnished cab before and it almost sounded like it rattled or was too bright. I think tolex does help dampen vibrations in a good way.....and by the way RED tolex sounds way better than purple :dude

7. userd

userd Member

BTW I am not kidding you as there are cabs with this features.

I'm just asking if that makes any sense.

8. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I think the intent of nitro lacquer on tweed is to give it an aged appearance and to protect the fabric for the long haul. I like it, it looks very cool IMO.

9. calieng

calieng Member

Yes in a small way lacquered tweed should allow the natural sound of the wood in the cabinet to come through more than a tolex covered cabinet.

Tolex is a softer material that would dampen vibrations and tweed that is coated in laquer becomes hard and would therefor transmit vibrations better.

So....

Varnished cabinet would be mostly undamped vibrations.

Laquereed tweed would have some dampening of cabinet vibrations.

Tolex covered would have the most dampening of cabinet vibrations...especially the thick soft tolex like on Bad Cats.

More cabinet vibrations adds to the net sound ... a more dampened cabinet would reduce the sound of the wood in the cabinet and allow more of the speaker and baffle sound to come through.

But as I said before the effect would be small. I'm not sure if you could even hear the difference in most cases.

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Everyone knows the direction the tweed is applied to the cabinet makes all the difference. If you reverse the direction the lines in the tweed travel your amp will play out of phase and you will never get it to sound right. It's probably the single most overlooked component of amp building. :)

Actually, I wouldn't worry about it at all, speakers transformers and tubes will do more for you then fabric. I will admit the laquar on the tweed is a thing of beauty, I'm thinking about doing my tele case.

11. calieng

calieng Member

I guess we should also discuss whether salt 'n pepper grill cloth sounds best?

:confused:

12. userd

userd Member

No, thats plain stupid :cool: