Twin and Deluxe Reverb. Redundant?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fernando, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Fernando

Fernando Member

I'm shopping for a new amp. I have a Twin Reverb Reissue. Play mainly jazz and a little blues. I love the tone of the TRRI bit I need an amp that is smaller. It must have a good clean, with enough headroom to rehearse with a 4 piece band. I figured I'd go for something different from the TRRI, since I'm getting a second amp, maybe one that I could crank a bit for some breakup.

The thing is I ran into a brand new DRRI for the price of a Hot Rod Deluxe. Considering the headroom on this model is enough, would you think it would be redundant to have the DRRI besides the TRRI? I mean, do they sound different, clean wise? I've also heard that, inspite of the low wattage, the DRRI won't breakup untill it is too loud (I'm looking for something that would be a little more bedroom friendly than the TRRI too!)

Thanks again

(Geez, this must be my fourth thread concerning this second amp purchase. I need to get over it!)

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

I used to have both also. For me it was just lazyness, I hated carrying around that heavy Twin. Overall the Twin is fatter and richer, but the charactor is about the same. I wouldn't.

3. Fernando

Fernando Member

I know what you mean, I hat lugging that thing around...but when it is on the ground, it is so sweet. So did you keep any of them?

4. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Own the TRRI, have owned several DRRI .........the DRRI breaks up gererally about 3.5 on the volume dial using either a PRS McCarty or an Eric Johnson Strat............certainly not loud enough for a 4 piece band IF your after clean. Try one out before you buy it as only you can be the judge on how much clean volume you're after.............you may have become spoiled with the TRRI clean headroom though!

5. Fernando

Fernando Member

Well, I believe I have! I keep thinking and deep down I just wished the TRRI was lighter. I'm going to try the DRRI on saturday but I don't think I will feel it is an amp I need. But, concerning tone, how similar do you think they are?

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Pretty much all the Fender blackface amps will sound the same except for the relative point in which they break up. The supers and twins are nice because they have a midrange control. The deluxe does not have a bright switch because it's pre-set with circuitry. If your not playing too loud then I would get the smaller amp.

7. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

All blackface amps do not sound the same!!! I agree they have similar characteristics compared to Marshalls or Tweeds etc but each model has it's own individual thing happening. The Twin uses 4 6L6's whereas the Deluxe Reverb uses 2 6V6's. Besides the volume before breakup issue each tube has unique clipping characteristics. The twin also has a "stiffer" feel due to its beefier transformer.

I think you would be happy with a Deluxe Reverb. Make sure it has a good speaker and tubes and the caps are up to date. I use mine 90% of the time and play all different styles ( including jazz ) on it. I like the volume level where it breaks up but we play a lot of parties and smaller clubs. On a pro stage I'll usually bring a Pro Reverb or mike the Deluxe and run a bit of it in the monitor.

I've been blessed with the opportunity to mess with a few of these amps.

:eek:

[​IMG]

Dan

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Fernando's question relates to the reissue Twin and Deluxe Reverb amps, I believe. So thoughts/comparisons on those? I'm considering a used DRRI...

9. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

I have played a few of the reissues and found them to be brighter and less dynamic than the originals. There are some mods people have proposed that are supposed to help this but I haven't tried them myself. I'm pretty sure the same general characteristics I mentioned will apply to the reissues as their tube compliment and transformers are the same as the originals.

Dan

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

11. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Not redundant. Go for it. And that picture of all the blackfaces!!! :O

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

How about loading it with neodymium speakers?

13. bob-i

bob-i Member

I didn't keep any of my amps from the 60's or 70's and I had a bunch. Being a technical kinda guy I kept upgrading to the latest technology, never knowing that I already had the best. :mad:

14. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I guess I don't really know about the RI's per se, but I have had a 4 silverfaced Fenders. A Twin, a Vibrolux, a Deluxe, and a Vibrochamp. All were sest up well and running at peak abilities. I thought the Twin and the Deluxe had the greatest differences between all of them. Still in a Fender camp, but not at all the same. The Twin has a silicon recto and much tighter, almost stiff, bass compared to the Deluxe. Both can be very warm sounding over all, but the Deluxe gets there at liveable volumes. I can't believe, especially in a jazz combo, that you have that Twin turned up loud enough to even get it breathing well. All Fenders fall a little flat if you don't turn them up some. I don't mean distorting, just a loud enough clean that the amp is making its full bandwidth. That is VERY loud with a Twin. Most people I see playing twins these days have them turned down so low that they sound awful, or they are playing WAY too loud for the gig. The Deluxes 20 watts is constantly being underestimated. I play out with my Deluxe in a loud combo and I use an attenuator! I keep it slightly above clean, but not dirty. It keeps up just fine. Just my .02.

15. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Well said. Finding an amp that breaks up at the right volume for your gig is the ticket. That level can vary a lot depending on the type of music you are playing, your playing style, size of the venue, and number of cups of coffee the drummer has had. I've never had to use an attenuator with my DR but I have to keep up with a pretty obnoxious keyboard player!

Dan

16. aeolian

aeolian Member

While I find the reissues to be dryer than the originals, the Twin is even more stiff and dryer than the Deluxe. So it depends on what you want in the tone. The DRRI's seem to be able to go a bit louder cleanly than most old ones, but they'll still break up at 6 and above.

17. Fernando

Fernando Member

I see what you mean. The Twin really gets better at 6 and above, and that is indeed too loud, even playing with a band. I'll check out the DR on saturday and let you guys know.

18. Big Lug

Big Lug Guest

Deluxe Reverb or a Twin Reverb?

Ask yourself 2 questions:

1. How loud do I need to be?
    2. Do I have a roadie?

19. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

You could try the 'Pete Anderson' trick. Mod/Bias the Deluxe to run 6L6s instead of 6Vs...That'll get ya a bit more headroom. Add a higher rated 12 and you might be there. Its debatable what this does to the 'magic' of a DR, some like it, some don't.

20. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I should have mentioned that my Deluxe has a Weber Blue Dog in it that is way more efficient than the stock oxfart was. So it has a lot of apparent volume for a Deluxe.