• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Twin Baffle Question, probably again

NoBrakes

My 68' Twin has a floating 1/2 floating baffle in it. When the original particle board baffle disinigrated I built a new one(w/1/4 edge) to replace it. Question is I used finish grade ply and not baltic birch so I'm certain the wood is a bit softer. Should there be any issues with this? tonally? I cannot find baltic birch anywhere in my area.. The cab resonates nicely. It's no big deal to knock out another as i pretty comfortable with this kind of thing.

Last edited:

NoBrakes

I think I'm going to a baltic birch baffle... found the material.. I prefer to build my own. Less expensive and I can do the turquoise/silver grill cloth with no upcharge... these things are simple to build.

donnyjaguar

From a hi-fi perspective, MDF is the first choice for cabinetry and plywood generally the second with solid wood being the last. In my opinion plywood should be the first choice for any PA or musical instrument application due to its inherent strength.

Last edited:

NoBrakes

I just finished the Baltic Birch baffle... I need to paint it a get the hardware on it but it's close to ready. Tapping on the wood it sounds different than the cabinet ply, brighter and tighter sounding.. Should be interesting. My fabrication is high tech compared to Fenders original which seems to use every sound deadening material they could find...Prticle board and fiberboard.. I suspect it won't be a huge difference though and the floating design contributes a lot.

SatelliteAmps

Fender switched because of cost reasons, not tonal reasons.

A lot of cheap hi-fi stuff does use MDF for baffles. Some of the really high end stuff used ply (Altec & JBL). There is no definite for one or the other. They all sound different.

donnyjaguar

I think with an open-backed cabinet there isn't going to be much of a difference as long as you use at least 1/2" ply of a reasonable density.

jellewelagen

As for Birch ply baffles: I have done this before and I have learned that I do not like the result for fenders. My 64 superreverb has a very lightweight baffle board and it sounds awesome. The replacement birch ply board destroyed the tone of the amp. It became thin and lifeless. I noticed the same in the vibroverbs and Superreverbs that I built from scratch.

Funny, I had a AC30 that as made of particle board, both baffle and cabinet. I was always afraid it would fall into pieces, but it sounded great. My first cabinets that I build with birch plywood, sounded sterile in comparison.

The speaker cabinets that I build for my Dumble ODS clones use pine and light wight construction grade ply.

Since you already made the board, please let us know how you like it.

Jelle,

Manhattan

PRNDL

Most use BC plywood instead of finish ply for replacement baffle boards.

I'm not an expert in woods, but I believe the difference is in the number of voids (i.e. quality) and price. BC stands for the grade on each side. It's commonly available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

Higher grade ply (AB) is usually only available at lumber yards and is used by cabinet / furniture makers, etc.

Experienced baffle builders commonly use BC and cut to avoid voids. They may also cut with the grain going across (IIRC) to minimize warping, which rarely occurs.

Birch plywood is much less dense, and more expensive. It's used primarily for aesthetics (veneers).
Besides its price, it may vibrate too much for an amp, especially a twin when turned up.
I'd also be concerned about the mechanical stability, especially with heavier speakers.

NoBrakes

I spoke incorrectly, the board I have it there is currently BC ply and not finish... It looks fine however.... It's definately lively sounding and has a huge bottom... I have noticed among builders that there is a difference opinion of material... When I got this one I saw either BC or Birch as options... Frankly it sounded best with the original particle board baffle..

I'm suspecting the amp is bias'd cold also.....maybe I should wait until I check the bias before doing much else..

Last edited:

NoBrakes

Since you already made the board, please let us know how you like it.
So far I'm liking the tone of the Birch baffle better.... I kept my BC ply baffle intact other than pulling the aluminum drip moulding...I can switch back if I find different. The BC baffle was extremely bassy sounding and with o.d I had to e.q. some of the lower mids out... we'll see.. Definately the Fender cleans are back...

Update from the first test.... My Twin is badass again!!!! I run it pedals and seem to get anything I want... It seems to be back the way it was before the restore... This amp was the same amp that used to make my other guitar player cringe because his Marshall's sounded wimpy next to it. The BC baffle seemed to bring on a huge bottom and lower mid response...just too much.

Last edited:

UMT

I've had this discussion with a Tech Wizard and he suggested Marine Grade (voidless) plywood or I might possibly want to experiment with Mahogony or Maple (Kind of like a guitar)

Trending Topics