• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Twin for a bedroom amp...am I crazy?

Rhyn087

I play mostly at home and love fender cleans. I primarily play single coil guitars and music ranging from Hendrix to twangy country at relatively low volumes. Pedals provide the grit. I’ve been looking to get a Blackface amp (or clone) and have tried out all the current fender offerings. The one Blackface in the fender stable that seems to make the least sense for my application but I keep coming back to is the twin. The cleans sound huge and have that scooped steely snap (if that makes any sense) that nails the clean sound in my head. Even at low volumes. Is there another amp that does this in a smaller configuration? The deluxe and Princeton are nice, but the twin is on another level. I feel crazy that I’m considering buying this heavy loud beast for bedroom use, but nothing else I’ve tried sounds as good.

g4_gtr

I play mostly at home and love fender cleans. I primarily play single coil guitars and music ranging from Hendrix to twangy country at relatively low volumes. Pedals provide the grit. I’ve been looking to get a Blackface amp (or clone) and have tried out all the current fender offerings. The one Blackface in the fender stable that seems to make the least sense for my application but I keep coming back to is the twin. The cleans sound huge and have that scooped steely snap (if that makes any sense) that nails the clean sound in my head. Even at low volumes. Is there another amp that does this in a smaller configuration? The deluxe and Princeton are nice, but the twin is on another level. I feel crazy that I’m considering buying this heavy loud beast for bedroom use, but nothing else I’ve tried sounds as good.

Not at all. My favorite amp for clean tones was the fender Bassman LTD reissue, followed by a Tweed Deluxe, followed by a twin-like Mesa Lonestar 2x12. I'm sorry I traded the Bassman for the Lonestar, which was a nice amp, just needed a forklift to move it around. Kept the Deluxe the longest. In the end though, I wanted to get some overdrive from the amp and these were just too loud for that, but I sacrificed that wonderful clean tone and not sure it was worth it.

dcbc

You don't have to turn the twin up to play it. Or you could play it loud in the bedroom if you aren't worried about disturbing anyone. It's one of those amps that's doing what it does from a relatively low volume. So, apart from having to carry it places if you play with a band and assuming you have room for it at the house, it will be fine.

I have big amps (Tweed Bassman and LP Twin), medium sized amps (Tweed Super and Deluxe Reverb) and a medium small amp (5e3 Deluxe). I had a Champ and a Princeton Reverb, but sold them. The reason was that there was nothing keeping me from playing the bigger amps at home and if I was playing with a band, I preferred the medium/large amps.

Alchemist XP

Twins were never designed to be played at low volume ... bedroom levels. Having said that, if you dig the low volume tones it kicks out then go for it. To me, the key to what makes a twin fun to play is the volume dynamics ... and that requires some volume.

Well, depending on various factors, I would likely keep a Princeton Reverb in the bedroom.

However!... I got my first Twin Reverb at 17 years old. I'm much older now, I've owned 40 amps, but a Twin Reverb is the only one that was never missing from the permanent collection.

The Twin Reverb is "The Amp of the Gods" at any level.

Some people want to be buried with their guitar... When I die, I want to be pushed off of a boat with my feet tied to a Twin Reverb.

Aslan

• The Twin Reverb is a classic amp, go ahead and get it and if you need to turn it up do what I do: put a SPL Reducer between amp & speaker and you can crank the Twin yet not annoy people living next door.

Z Boogieman

I was looking for a Twin for the basement studio. I came across a 212 Mesa F-100 in near mint condition with the foot switch. I got it for a screaming deal. This amp can run in 60 or 100 watt modes. A Strat or Tele at a clean setting, is eargasmic at just about any volume. The amp even has a headphone jack. A humbucker guitar and the dirt channel can be played at a subdued volume, but you will not be able to control yourself. As the volume goes up, the better the overdriven sound.

The only drawback is the 100 pound boat anchor weight.

waxbytes

If you like the sound of a Twin, then that's the right amp for you.

As for your mental health, I'm not qualified to comment.

treedroppings

It's cheaper because of modern trends. Hold out for a drip edge Twin if you like Blackface style amp. Guitar Center around here had twins for about $700 used.

fevzay

Some thoughts...

1. If it sounds good to you, then by all means give it a go. There are no right or wrong ways to play music. No harm in trying something. It's part of the learning process.

2. Sometimes I'm a fan of high wattage amps at low volumes for a pedal platform (or just basic cleans). They give me a full range. More so than other amps (where you're achieving break-up), its easy to have a consistent tone day to day. And for clean tones...that's easy. Gigging with an amp that breaks up is sometimes tricky. One day I can only run the volume on 3. Another day I can the volume wide open. The next day 6......it's an issue. Having a consistent gain structure from the amp makes dialing in pedals THAT much easier.

3. The drawback is that you sort of ARE under-utilizing the tubes by running it super cool. Part of the magic of tube amps is tube distortion and speaker distortion (for both clean and dirty tones). Additionally, you're kind of taking the ability to play dynamically away. The use of your guitar volume control will be neutered when the amp is running cool. The ability to ride the line between clean/breakup with pick attack pretty much goes away (not that a Twin Reverb breaks up much anyway!). If you're gig (or at home wanking around) doesn't depend on this.....no problem! You're golden. If your playing style depends on dynamics, then I'd say this will be an uphill battle.

Last edited:

killer blues

No. The twin IS fender clean. It sounds like you won't be as happy with anything else.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom