Twin Reverb and Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Taking_Frags, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Taking_Frags

Taking_Frags Member

I need recommendations for what speakers to put in my Fender Twin Reverb RI. I understand threads exist on this exact topic but wanted to provide you with personal information regarding what I play. Probably more than needed.

Fender Twin Reverb RI (2001) with Electro Harmonix, Tung-Sol, and Jan Preamp tubes as well as Groove Tubes power tubes. Fender Tele Deluxe reissue with D standard or Drop C tuning. I get my overdrive from the Fulltone Fulldrive2 - Mosfet.

I play within the genres of ambient, experimental, and cinematic rock. You can think of a mixture Explosions In the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Radiohead, Toe, as well as Russian Circles. Not expecting you to listen to these bands.

Here is a track of my band that will help you best if interested. http://collectionsmusic.bandcamp.com/

The amp originally had the stock Jensen C12Ks in them. I'm definitely into dark cleans but with a little more life. I've been looking into the Eminence Patriot line due to the affordability but will consider anything. I'm not looking for the best but essentially an upgrade from the C12Ks. I've been recommended Jensen C12N or C12K (again), Eminence's Swamp Thang or Red, White, and Blues.

Thanks for taking the time! Sorry if I provide everyone too much nonsense.

2. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

fulldrive into a Twin...my favorite set-up! i did a lot of speaker swapping quite a few years ago trying to get my main gig Twin to sound like my back-up Twin (that has original 60's jensen c-12n speakers)...a lot of the dark, clean speakers do just like you're describing...not enough life...too scooped and polite?

anyway...i ended up with one weber 12f150 and one boogie/celestion 90watt black shadow...

i've nailed the sound i want to hear with that set-up and the full-drive really responds great with that celestion in the mix! it's about time i got new paper in there though...they've been in there a while and have GOT to be tired at this point, so i'm looking at upgrading to a weber chicago (since it's 80watts as opposed to the 12f150 being 50 watt)...

let us know if you find something else...been curious about the eminence stuff, but i just basically didn't get to them before i'd found my current setup...still curious though!

3. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I have a decided JBL bias, but from your description I don't see speaker break up being an asset. JBL, EV, weber neos (I've heard) might be the best way to go. It partly depends on how loud you drive that twin.

4. jamesrsmith

jamesrsmith Supporting Member

i ha ve a creamic weber chicago and ceramic weber california in my 71, they just sort of evolved in there from the original oxfords,, they sound just too good to change out,, bout 200 $ is all for both, got them used

5. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost Member

I had a Weber 12F150/12F150B in mine and it was too dull at loud volumes. I added a Cannabis Rex and it was great at low volumes but still kind of lifeless at loud volumes.

Now I'm looking at mixing Weber California and Michigan together. Paper dome, ceramic. I'm hoping the high end stays crisp and glassy at louder volumes. If I was looking to put them in the twin cab, I'd probably pick up a pair of used EVM-12L's, but I'm making my Twin a head only and filling up a 4x12.

6. benderman

benderman Member

I have a 65 Twin RI and that i've had for about 7 years now and it's been my workhorse amp.I've been thru quite a few speaker changes over the years now and have tried Weber,Celestion,and then started doin' some research on speakers and talking to some Twin owners.There were quite a few Twin guys telling me to try the Jensen Neo's and I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of them and put them in and I was blown away.

I thought they sounded great right out of the box.The Lows are really tight without being to muddy or farty,mids are very warm and sweet,no midrange spike in these babies,top end is very sweet no ice-pick tone.And the other great thing is takes dirt pedals very well and the other thing I like is the amp is at least 10lbs lighter and my back loves it!! Good luck on the speaker hunt so many flavors and choices,it can be overwhelming,just do some research and try and get some feedback from players.

7. Lance

Lance Member

Good old V30's sound great in Twins.

8. levous

levous Member

After asking just this question from a dozen places and a half a dozen gurus, the Weber Californias were a clear winner. The TR is just such a loud, clean amp, that you need a speaker made for high power. Trying to get early breakup is going to result in flubbing bass. I couldn't be happier with my Californias!

Now, I will say that I am intrigued by the half power mod whereby you pull two tubes and rebias the amp to that. A little above my pay grade but it will give you better tone without ripping the paint off the outside of the building.

bender man sounds like he has been there and back. I recently have been told by quite a few trusted experts that Neos are the way to go. Super efficient, excellent reproduction of YOUR tone. Let the tubes and pedals handle the breakup.

9. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    **well-broken-in** Weber ceramic, paper dome California AND Michigan with Mitchell foam donuts. No comments till Webers are well broken in .. OR special-request factory to break 'em in for you.

10. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

Weber California's are cool, kinda syrupy though and don't cut much. I think a twin likes a low mid heavy speaker. Wgs veteran 30's kill in a twin. They balance so nice with the fender eq curve. I know it seems like a wacky choice but I swear it's awesome!

11. Damian13

Damian13 Member

I know this is a zombie thread.
    But I'm facing the exact same issue as the op and play very similar music.
    If you're still about, what speakers did you end up landing on?