• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Twin Reverb loud noise/pop (video inside)

kingofrats

I have a '68 Twin Reverb that makes a loud noise/pop whenever the standby is turned off and the amp is turned on. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. So that is why I have included a video clip to demonstrate. I turn the amp on and off a few times to demonstrate the noise.

I'm certain it is not the tubes since I have replaced all the old tubes with brand new tested tubes. Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue6L7bOr1fo

Ronsonic

I'm hearing all sorts of noise there but really don't have any perspective on it. I hear noise before you turn the amp on, what's that? Is everything on the amp dimed, including the reverb? What's on the other end of that cable? Is it a guitar with the volume turned up? Unplugged? Guitar with volume off?

That amp could be anything from just fine in a very electrically noisy room to a complete mess and there's no way to tell from the information given.

kingofrats

guitar plugged in to the amp but the volume on the guitar is off. The amp is on 3 or 4, not dimed at all, the reverb is also on 4.

Ronsonic

Some turn-on thump is not unusual or a problem. Remember that switch slaps the tubes with 450 volts when you flip it. The rest of it strikes me as being a bit noisy and due for service. Still hard to say much without a loudness reference.

Perspective is a little difficult sometimes, even when the amp is on the bench. There's a tendency to start listening too deep into the noise floor. But I can say confidently it is making more noise than I'll allow from a Twin. Aged resistors and caps, dirt on jacks and the board. A lot of small noise sources can add up over the years.

Top Bottom