Twin Reverb on 2 vs Princeton Reverb on 4?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
In your opinion, does a TR on 2 sound better than a PR on 4?

Last edited:

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I started another thread about using a TR if you didn't have to move it. So now I'm asking if you prefer a TR or PR at lower volumes or which is better for home use if you don't have to move it?

BobbyRay

Silver Supporting Member
For me and my preferences, I'll gladly move and use a twin turned down over a small amp turned up...every time. I just think it sounds better to me. I like the feel even at very low volume.

BobbyRay

Silver Supporting Member
Just to be clear, my gigging amp is a super reverb. It's big enough for me

Comanche5

Depends if what you wanted was dead clean or some break-up. Secondly, the size of the amp will matter less if using a PA or recording. Remember how many times what you thought was a Marshall stack turned out to be a small combo.

In your opinion, does a TR on 2 sound better than a PR on 4 (same low volume)?

thekaiser

Gold Supporting Member
Come on...seriously? A 2 x 12 cabinet and a 1 x 12 cabinet and you are comparing tones?????
Technically a 2x12 vs a 1x10 if they're both stock. And it really depends on the guitar and the sound your trying to achieve. With a humbucker loaded guitar my Princeton on 4 is already crispy with just a little bit of breakup (which is why I love it). A Twin on 2 would still be clean. Hell a Twin on 4 would still be clean, and probably much louder than I would want in a home situation.

bratch

It's a weird question, but I get it. I love twins, but I'm going with the princeton.

I have a princeton and an old concert 4x10 amp, and mostly play and gig the princeton because I hate having no sustain or compression added by the amp.

But twins sound cool at low volumes with the reverb on!

gentlyweeping

Twin. Not necessarily for the volume but for the spaciousness. The way it sounds so full without pushing a speaker to rattiness. Mines out of commission for awhile and I'm using a single 12 incher. It makes me more aware that my sound is coming from that box back there as opposed the Twin's sound just 'appearing'.

nater9

Both will sound good. Just depends on what your going for.

Princeton on 4 with the right tubes and speaker is just perfect. Dig in and it's got some break up or lay back and it's nice and clean. And it's not small sounding at all, to me at least.

Twin on 2 is super clean and fat. But that's all you get. But if that's what your going for then it's perfect.

I have both amps and most if the time I'm playing the Princeton.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Twin. Not necessarily for the volume but for the spaciousness. The way it sounds so full without pushing a speaker to rattiness. Mines out of commission for awhile and I'm using a single 12 incher. It makes me more aware that my sound is coming from that box back there as opposed the Twin's sound just 'appearing'.
That's what I remember about playing through a TR, the way the sound just seems to surround you... a big full sound, like a piano. I'm considering getting another one to use around the house with pedals for overdrive.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
The low end of a TR volume can be really touchy. On the other hand, my experience of PR's is that around 4 they may be getting farty.

Trending Topics