• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Twin Reverb Opinion

woof*

Every single time I've blackfaced a silverface, I liked it LESS, and I've had both types of amps. It doesn't get there for many reasons. The bias adjust conversion is the main thing I like. Get it healthy, good speakers and good sounding tubes and play it. I'm a fan of RCA 7025's and 12AX7's in Fenders. GE's sound good to me, also. I'm with 335guy on power tubes.
Agreed, I would leave it like it is, with a recap and fresh tubes. After that, maybe try some different speakers. I have never cared for master volume silverface's that were attempted to be blackfaced. Someone told me the problem is in the feedback circuit. The silverface don't sound bad, just a different sound from a blackface.

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
I would have a tech install a 3 prong plug, re-tube, re-bias, check the caps and resistors, and leave it as is for now if funds are low. Weber Cali's are good, but another lower priced alternative would be Eminence Rajun Cajuns. Turn the master all the way up, and it's like not even there! You can always "blackface" when you have more $$, but I have the exact amp, and it's pretty, pretty good (silverface) as is.
I meant to say Cannibas Rex speakers.

Dillow4092

Before I would dump any funds into it, decide if the amp really is for you. A twin is a beast of an amp, unless you play out you will probablly never get it past two. On the upside it's clean as clean gets.

DT7

Agreed, I would leave it like it is, with a recap and fresh tubes. After that, maybe try some different speakers. I have never cared for master volume silverface's that were attempted to be blackfaced. Someone told me the problem is in the feedback circuit. The silverface don't sound bad, just a different sound from a blackface.
Depends on the Silverface in question. Some sound uptight and constipated, depending on several factors. A 1972 is a pretty good amp, though. Part of the issue with Blackfacing such an amp is the signal caps. If you can't score some of those (or a serious equivalent), it won't turn out like you think it should. Despite what some folks like to believe, those caps make a big difference, and are one of the keys to the Blackface sound. The blue-drop Paktron caps you find in '70s Silverface amps aren't bad caps...but they sure don't sound the same as the blue molded ones.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
A twin is a beast of an amp, unless you play out you will probablly never get it past two. On the upside it's clean as clean gets.
True, but there quite a number of tricks and minor mods (amongst them blackfacing) to get the twin in a sweeter spot at lower volume.

Tremolo off
Remove V1
Treble boost/gain
Run with two power tubes
NFL adjust
Single speaker
PPIMV
Attenuator

dughaze

True, but there quite a number of tricks and minor mods (amongst them blackfacing) to get the twin in a sweeter spot at lower volume.

Tremolo off
Remove V1
Treble boost/gain
Run with two power tubes
NFL adjust
Single speaker
PPIMV
Attenuator
I think if I have to do all that I'm going to sell it and move on.

Oh wait, I did.:D

Since the OP likes clean he may dig it. I needed dirt so I got tired of the weight and no dirt whatsoever so I gladly cut mine loose years ago.

smolder

I think if I have to do all that I'm going to sell it and move on.

Oh wait, I did.:D

Since the OP likes clean he may dig it. I needed dirt so I got tired of the weight and no dirt whatsoever so I gladly cut mine loose years ago.
lol... no way I'd do all of them ;)

pula58

Gold Supporting Member
Rajun cajuns (recommeneded several posts above) are 10" speakers, the Twin takes 12's.

+ 1 for Weber Californias, Eminence Swamp Thang's or perhaps WGS G12C's if wanting to lean more towards old Jensen tones.

Last edited:

vanguard

don't bother blackfacing, grab those cheap californias (as long as they're not aluminum cap!!!), get it a general check-up and you've got a great, pro amp.

lumco

Most of the roads I travel are muddy
I have 2 Fender SF Twin's..70 and a 71..non MV.. love em just the way they are...nothing like the sound of a Tele and a Twin. Rick Hayes at Vintage Sound Amps built me a VS212 that is a BF copy.. I really hear very little difference in them.

Fenderosa

I have a 1970 Twin with JBL speakers and I have played it through a 2X10 cabinet with Weber California paper dome ceramic speakers. They both sound really good, and are similar sounding. I think the paper dome speakers would work better when using any overdrive/distortion/fuzz. The JBLs do not react well to overdrive. The California speakers will get you in the JBL Ball park and are good all around speakers.

If you want to hear how a healthy early silverface twin should sound, there is a Youtube clip of Derek and the Domino's playing "It's Too Late" on the Johnny Cash Show that you should check out.

Even if the music isn't your cup of tea, it is a benchmark of what that amp can do.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
don't bother blackfacing, grab those cheap californias (as long as they're not aluminum cap!!!), get it a general check-up and you've got a great, pro amp.
Yes, big diff. without the aluminum domes. I'd think my Cali paper domes would mellow out any Fender.

DT7

i did a blackface conversion on my '72 twin reverb and it made a huge difference. ymmv.
If you only do one thing, change the cathode resistor on the reverb driver to blackface specs...unless of course you happen to prefer the sound of your driver dying (some do).

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
Rajun cajuns (recommeneded several posts above) are 10" speakers, the Twin takes 12's.

+ 1 for Weber Californias, Eminence Swamp Thang's or perhaps WGS G12C's if wantoing to lean more towards old Jensen tones.
I corrected myself, I meant CRex.

Thank you to everyone for posting your opinions. I just picked up the Webers from the guy. He gave them to me for 50 bucks for the pair. So I jumped on the deal. If I'm not happy with them, I can probably just change them in the future.
That Derek and the Dominos video is perfect! That sound is wonderful coming from that Twin. I've got some new tubes on order. I went with the Winged Cs and the Tung Sols. I'm afraid as much as I wanted to I couldn't splurge for the NOS tubes. Maybe one day.
I'm now left with around 100 dollars that I planned on putting into the amp. Based on further research I'm thinking that I seriously want to attempt bringing it to Blackface specs. My amp tech buddy said I might be better off buying a Blackface conversion kit to have installed. Any opinions on those?
He specifically sent me this one:
http://vintagefenderamprepair.com/mods-2/home/twin-reverb/

Anybody have any experience?
Again, I greatly appreciate everyone posting their opinions in here. I'm looking forward to having a kickass Twin Reverb in the future.

Or maybe there is a definitive list somewhere of all the parts I'd need? I'm kinda new to this whole game, but I'm kinda trying to learn my way around tube amps as well. He said he'd let me help him out and he'd show me the ropes a bit. But I'm in charge of purchasing the parts.

335guy

The only way to know for sure is to compare what you have, the internal chassis wiring and components, to the various schematics listed for that year, AC568, AA769, AA270. Those are the circuits listed for SFTR from '68-'82. There should be a tube chart inside the amp as well, but those are sometimes wrong.
( ACAC568, AA769, AA270AC568, AA769, AA270568, AA769, AA270

pula58

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you to everyone for posting your opinions. I just picked up the Webers from the guy. He gave them to me for 50 bucks for the pair. So I jumped on the deal. If I'm not happy with them, I can probably just change them in the future.
That Derek and the Dominos video is perfect! That sound is wonderful coming from that Twin. I've got some new tubes on order. I went with the Winged Cs and the Tung Sols. I'm afraid as much as I wanted to I couldn't splurge for the NOS tubes. Maybe one day.
I'm now left with around 100 dollars that I planned on putting into the amp. Based on further research I'm thinking that I seriously want to attempt bringing it to Blackface specs. My amp tech buddy said I might be better off buying a Blackface conversion kit to have installed. Any opinions on those?
He specifically sent me this one:
http://vintagefenderamprepair.com/mods-2/home/twin-reverb/

Anybody have any experience?
Again, I greatly appreciate everyone posting their opinions in here. I'm looking forward to having a kickass Twin Reverb in the future.
Not all blackface amps sound great, some sound downright ratty and nasty. Not all silverface amnps sound bad, some sound warm and full and sweet. I would not automatically assume that changing the amp circuit to the AB763 is something that you will like. You might, or you might not. I would play it a while first before modding it. You got some nice speakers, use 'em for a while and see how it goes and save the $$ for a little bit later.

Just my $0.02 !

P.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom