twin reverb question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by takis, Jun 24, 2006.

1. takis

takis Member

can someone explain me why the most fender twin reverbs that i have tried don t take good the pedals?i thought that i was the only one i was thinking that,but i m seeing many players are saying the same!

its something with the circuit?must choose the right speakers or something else?
    one tech one day told me that twins have a lot bass and tremple so they suit best with midrange overdrive pedals...srv is one big example but...maybe i m wrong i dont know...:crazy

is something you can do to improve this?maybe with a booster?

thanks

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

What I have found is that is a volume issue.

Most amps are starting to cook and sound good with pedals at very low volumes, but the twins are so loud, that they make overdrive pedals sound more buzzy than you might expect. I found this to be a problem until I just "went for it" and turned it up a bit more...roughly 5 on the volume (which is very loud with a twin) suddenly the drive pedals were amazing sounding. Very big and clear with no buzz.

SO the problem you hear probably has to do with the fact you are kinda choking the amp a bit at lower volumes.

here is a few samples of my twin with an overdrive pedal and a couple with delay and overdrive:

Clips 1

Clips 2

3. clunk

clunk Member

Its deffinately not as midrange as other fenders. tweaking the middle knob is not as pronounced as tweaking the bass or treble. It has a narrow mid frequency range in comparison to the treble or bass. That would be why midrange pedals bring out more in this amp. Depends on the sound your after though. turning up the volume will make it bigger sounding. Add a pedal with that and you can get some great tones. But as Jubilee i think was getting at is that it is a very volume dependant amp and LOUD.

Clunk

4. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

Wow. That's some sweet playing, bro! :AOK

What kind of Strat? Stock pups?

- Keith

P.S. Sorry for the hijack.

5. takis

takis Member

man your playing is FANTASTIC!you are playing exactly the style i like!:AOK

look its not that i don t like the sound of a loud twin with an od its just that compared with a loud marshall for example the od pedal will sound better in marshall..with my experiences...

so from what i can see the twin can take good pedals if i make the right compination between an overdrive pedal,my pups and the speakers of the amp...

what i can t understand is that some amps are taking pedals better...for example germino amps are famous for this(except all the others that they can do).why is happening this?

listen also 2 of my clips with my twin reverb and my suhr classic,one electrovoice speaker,mjm blues devil pedal,rc booster!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=310394

listen the track "pride..." and hideaway;) (for example at this 2 clips the sound for my taste is very good but when i was recording with my marshall the mjm blues devil and the rc booster sounded better..).

what speakers do you prefer with te twin?ceramic or alnico and which?

6. takis

takis Member

thanks clunk!i said in my previous post i play LOUD,and i explain that again my marshall take the pedals better...:)

7. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I had a chopped Silverface twin for years that hated any kind of OD/Boost pedal no matter what the volume and what speaker combination I ran it through.

It was like the signal just brought out the worst in the tone.

It did spectacular clean tones as loud as you could stand and I just gave up trying to make it do something that it clearly wasn't intended to do.

8. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

My early 70's Twin hated OD pedals too. I did use a 65 RI once with a Les Paul and a Tube Screamer which was cool, but that was the exception. It's a shame because Twins sound so killer, but I can't gig with an amp that won't take pedals.

9. takis

takis Member

do you remember what speakers this twin had?

10. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Weird... I've always found Fender Twins to take pedals very well - at least as well as any other amp, and possibly best of any of the 'big name' amps. It would be my amp of choice for a hired-backline gig if there isn't a Mesa available.

What exactly do you mean by 'taking pedals' though - do you mean running an overdrive or distortion pedal sound itself into the amp set clean? In which case, you probably just want to have the Bright switch turned off - turn the treble knob up further if the clean sound isn't bright enough, they do different things - I find this works extremely well.

Or do you mean trying to push the amp itself into overdrive using a boost pedal or an overdrive used mainly as a boost and making the amp distort? I've never done that, but I can imagine how it would probably sound, and it wouldn't be good... but why would you want to? A Twin is an amp designed for LOUD and CLEAN (even the MV is pointless on those models which have it, except as a secondary volume control, it was fitted by CBS engineers who had no clue about what makes 'good' distortion). Trying to push it with pedals is just going to give you that same crappy distortion sound at a lower setting on the volume knob - unless you're into the range where you're getting power-stage distortion instead, and then it will be VERY seriously loud.

11. takis

takis Member

before i l answer john have you seen the montreaux live dvd of srv where he plays the songs:hideaway,texas flood?THIS is the sound i like and what i want to do with my overdrive pedal and my twin!;)

12. takis

takis Member

john sorry but my english are not very good and i didn t understood totally the differences between these 2 examples that you told me but i think that i want to do the first example that i have in the quote...
    if you can explain me with some other words this 2 examples..thanks!:AOK

13. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I don't know the sound you mean - I'm not a big SRV fan - but from what I've read I do know that he had different speakers in his Fenders (EVs mostly) and modded the Supers he used with solid-state rectifiers as well. The idea of both of these mods is to reduce amp and speaker distortion.

If you're using a Twin with overdrive pedals, get all of the drive from the pedals - don't try to 'push' the amp. Use it simply as a clean power amp. As far as I can tell this is actually what SRV did, contrary to popular belief - he used two Tube Screamers, one on all the time and the other as a solo boost. I've seen his settings posted somewhere and the pedals are not set as 'boosts', the drive control on at least one of them is above halfway.

If you're using a MV-model Twin, start by turning the MV up full. Then (or if your amp has no MV), run everything from the channel volume. Keep the Bright switch off, the mids up a fair way (at least 5), the bass possibly a bit lower (although my usual setting is 5 as well), and adjust the treble to give the tone you want.

14. takis

takis Member

thanks so much john!i ll try to do all these that you told me!:BEER

15. takis

takis Member

john i forgot to ask you:what speakers an for what tone do you prefer at a twin?alnico or ceramic and which?
    thanks