Twin Reverb Speakers

Onswah

Member
Messages
142
I'm looking to replace the speakers on my 71 Twin Reverb which after years of agony gotten on the road to recovery(i have to give a quick shout to Doug at DougsTubes for an excellent retube) Currently I have two Eminence Patriot Series Screamin Eagles and they just seem too bright for me, I'm looking for something warmer. Any suggestions?
 

Norjef

Member
Messages
1,163
Got a silver face Dual-Shwoman (Fruedian slip) w/Reverb head on top of Rivera 2-12" 1/3 open back bottom.

The best this cab has EVER sounded for clean and dirt is loaded with Weber alnico Michigan and ceramic California (alum-dome). Had Celest 85s, V-30s, EVM, JBL, Mesa/Celes 90s, older Eminences, etc.

Weber Michigan is similar to EV/SRO. Many players love SRO/EV speakers for dirt as well as fatty cleans--I do. Jeff
 

Tomo

Member
Messages
16,609
Originally posted by Onswah
I'm looking to replace the speakers on my 71 Twin Reverb which after years of agony gotten on the road to recovery(i have to give a quick shout to Doug at DougsTubes for an excellent retube) Currently I have two Eminence Patriot Series Screamin Eagles and they just seem too bright for me, I'm looking for something warmer. Any suggestions?

You did choose brightest speakers from series.

If you like patriots series.
Fattest, biggest tone is the Swamp Thang 150 watts.
Next, the Texas Heat 2" voice coil with 38 oz magnet.
The ST has 59 oz magnet. Those are fat sounding speakers.

If you like nice mids. The Red White & Blues is
good choice. I have a pair in my BF Pro Reverb.

More choices from Red Coat.

Good luck!

Please visit
http://www.eminence.com
for sound clips.


PS. Legend 121s
great too. Very warm tone.

Tomo
 

Wakarusa

Member
Messages
1,458
From the Emi line I use a Governor and a Red White & Blues in my '66 Twin. I like the combo better than the individual speakers.
 

Tomo

Member
Messages
16,609
Originally posted by Wakarusa
From the Emi line I use a Governor and a Red White & Blues in my '66 Twin. I like the combo better than the individual speakers.
I have one of Pro Reverbs with the Governors and
another Pro Reverb with the RW & Blues. I never
try to mix those. Great idea!

Once I mixed my Swamp Thang & the Tonker.
That was awsome tone. So big and full.


Tomo
 

Reeek

Member
Messages
1,196
And I just spoke to Uncle Spot. My Uncle Spot 4x10 SR clone is due to be finished around the end of the month. I did not change his specs for the speakers but I thought about it. I decided he's done enough to know.

I am a Weber veteran having bought at least 40 Weber's by now.

A good combo is the ceramic Blue Dog coupled with a ceramic Silver Bell. BIG TONE there.

I prefer the ceramic Blue Dogs over the alnico big time . . . personally.
 

Tomo

Member
Messages
16,609
I met Coco Montaya at Eminence booth (NAMM).
He loves his Red White & Blues. That's how I got
my RW&Blues.

Tomo
 

Onswah

Member
Messages
142
thanks for all the tips, I'm thinking that I might be going witha tonker and a swamp thin g, although i may just go with 2 tonkers as well. Now for the all important follow-up. How hard is it to install speakers?
 

tommyg

Member
Messages
1,477
Try the Eminence "Cannibas-Rex" speakers. I swapped them out of my Boogie (had a Celestion G12H-100 and an EV12L in there). Once you go "hemp" you'll never look back! I'm now in Tone Heaven!:D
 

Strung Up

Member
Messages
1,595
Originally posted by Norjef
Got a silver face Dual-Shwoman (Fruedian slip) w/Reverb head on top of Rivera 2-12" 1/3 open back bottom.

The best this cab has EVER sounded for clean and dirt is loaded with Weber alnico Michigan and ceramic California (alum-dome). Had Celest 85s, V-30s, EVM, JBL, Mesa/Celes 90s, older Eminences, etc.

Weber Michigan is similar to EV/SRO. Many players love SRO/EV speakers for dirt as well as fatty cleans--I do. Jeff
Had 1 Weber ceramic Chicago & 1 Weber ceramic Cali with PAPER dome in a late 70s Twin. Clear and warm, not as piercing as JBL's (Junk But Loud's). Forget speaker breakup with this setup, though.
 

Joe57

Member
Messages
100
I used to have an old Twin Reverb that I used in a loud rock band with a TS-9 in front. For a while I used Celestion Vintage 30's, and then I tried some Celestion G12T-75's which I liked even better. If I was using a Twin today the first speakers I would try are the Eminence GB12's - nice warm tone with a British made cone.
 

jokerjkny

Member
Messages
9,592
IMHO,

nothing sounds better with a fender amp than a pair of ceramic Weber California's.

nothing.
 
O

ottobahn

Originally posted by extremeconcrete
I had weber Cali's in my '69 (sold it :mad: ). They sounded great.
I had Weber recone my JBL D120F's with the Cali AlNiCo kits. Fantastic job! I use them in my '71 Twin Reverb.

I am so glad I got that done before Weber announced that they would no longer offer reconing on 3rd party speakers.:p
 

Tomo

Member
Messages
16,609
Originally posted by jokerjkny
IMHO,

nothing sounds better with a fender amp than a pair of ceramic Weber California's.

nothing.

I have those too.

You should check out "Tonespotter" from Eminence.



Tomo
 

Tomo

Member
Messages
16,609
Originally posted by jokerjkny
cool, tomo,

something to keep in mind... :cool:

Right now I am using Bob Burt cab with
Tonespotters(prototype).

Sound is so balanced with enough bottom and
crisp top end. I am really enjoying with my
strat, plus my ES335, arch top Sakashta
sound great!


Tomo
 
O

ottobahn

Originally posted by jokerjkny
IMHO,

nothing sounds better with a fender amp than a pair of ceramic Weber California's.

nothing.
As I said in an earlier post, I have my JBL's reconed with the AlNiCo Weber California kits.

I wanted to keep it as original as possible and I do not regret my decision.

However, with that said, I would like to get a 2/12 cab with some other type of speaker so I could switch between my internal and external speakers for a different sound.
 

Tomo

Member
Messages
16,609
Originally posted by ottobahn
As I said in an earlier post, I have my JBL's reconed with the AlNiCo Weber California kits.

I wanted to keep it as original as possible and I do not regret my decision.

However, with that said, I would like to get a 2/12 cab with some other type of speaker so I could switch between my internal and external speakers for a different sound.
That's great idea!

I have BF fenders. I also have several 2 12 cabs
so that I will enjoy 3-4 more times with one same amp(head).

Glad to hear you have favorite speakers.


Tomo
 




Top