Twin Reverbs are COOL!! AWESOME!!! LOUD!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RMcFarland, Dec 21, 2005.

1. RMcFarland

RMcFarland Supporting Member

Sorry for the over-enthused heading, but I am loving this twin I picked up. I have owned many of the Fender family over the past 10 years.....I always seem to come back to Fender's after various botique ventures. THe only ones that hang are Tone King's.

I usually gig with a Princeton Reverb. The perfect tone, size, and volume ratio (mic'd on occasion) in my opinion. I have stayed away from twins for a long time because of the size and volume thing, until a fairly clean and original 69 came along for the right price. I am loving it with my tele and OCD. The cleans are huge and the bass is tight. What a BIG sound.

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Ha..funnny.

Big Twin Reverb fan here as well... I gig with a/b'd Twin but with Stupidly heavy EVM12L speakers in it (makes the amp roughly 100lb+)

Its always been a toss up between a super reverb and a Twin for me. Supers always had more of a bouncy note definition that was easy to play...but Twins, though harder to play, reward you better than a super the harder you play, and the more you put into them. Hard hitting chord work with a twin is unbeatable...

3. AL30

AL30 Member

Oh yeah !!!! '72 Quad Reverb here - a twin a 4x12" combo. Heavy. Fantastic cleans. It's forced me to be a better player. There's no hiding bad notes with that amp. Big and clean. Great amps

AL

4. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

...they're just WAY TOO heavy and WAY TOO loud for 95% of my playing environments. And we all know what Fender's on 1.3 sound like....yuck.

I've played exactly one 1966 Twin Reverb that had magical overtone, slight breakup going on at anything near stage volume for most of my gigs...and I was broke, so oh well.

They're cool, it just seems that there are too few settings in which they are ideal...:confused:

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

I love my SF MV Twin, it's beat to hell but has a fat clang and crunches up in a beautiful/ugly way.

6. myles111

myles111 Member

One of the world's classic amps. Get a few pedals and do most anything. These were the amps of the SFO sixties scene and for live work they were all over the place. Back in Nashville they are still everywhere and the Opry has one on stage for a guest amp that just about every country picker has played through. On the other side of the coin Ted Nugent used to use about a 1/2 dozen of these. If you look into data on the 68 Hollywood bowl Hendrix concert you will find four Dual Showman heads on to the right hand of the drum riser on the floor .... who said Hendrix was a Marshall guy? :)

7. smilefan

smilefan Member

Twins are wonderful. A Twin plus pedals is all you need
    for 90% of country, roots, blues, even blues/rock.

That said, I like the tone of BF Showman heads even better.
    I think they have more punch and note body than Twins,
    plus one of the most massive bottom ends in the amp world.
    No 'verb, but an outboard 'verb plus pedals plus a Showman
    is the most cost effective tone rig I know of. Perfect cleans,
    great crunch (if you can get it to '7').

8. mailman

mailman Member

Agree to a point. I had a '65 Twin that I stupidly sold for a pittance in the early '70's. Loved that amp, but it WAS loud. Almost 35 years later, I picked up a THD Flexi-50, which to MY ears, gives me the Twin's cleans, PLUS a Marshall-esque overdrive. But again, TOO LOUD! A Hotplate attenuator solved my problems. Still am VERY nostalgic of the black-face Twins, but have since fallen inlove with the Flexi that offers the same, and MORE!:)

9. SOcular

SOcular Member

Grew up in South Georgia, live in Atlanta now, but
    Twins are great, but heavy as all get out. They "say" 80ish pounds, but it seems like much more.

Interesting side note: my band has run acoustic guitars and mandolins through them in a pinch. The acoustic guitar ended up sounding especially interesting, not *too* much feedback and it provides a really interesting tone.

10. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I love my twins, nothing does what they do better.

11. leond

leond Supporting Member

I tried a lot of different amps looking for a particular sound. Then I jammed with someone who had a beat to hell, silver face Twin. That was the sound I was looking for.

I went out and found a mint '65 Reissue and the sound was in there too, so I bought it. The first thing I did was to put a set of casters on it. I haven't had to move it yet so I don't know if the weight will be an issue or not.

But it definitely has my sound.

LeonD

12. Sudsysul

Sudsysul Member

I had one in the late 60's.. had those shiny 12" JBL's in it. I can remember doing a gig in a huge auditorium with a guy with a Marshall double stack and I was way louder than him!