• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Twin Reverbs - What Years to Avoid?

Psyfuzz

Hey guys,

Been hankering for so some sweet Fender loving, and want to go secondhand. Which era Twin Reverbs are studs, which are duds?

ledzep618

I think they all sound great...the decreased desirability of some years is pretty much based on forum non-sense.

jonathansuhr

I think they all sound great...the decreased desirability of some years is pretty much based on forum non-sense.
I agree. I actually liked my MV Silverface Twin more than a few drip edges I auditioned prior to purchasing the MV model.

pokey

For me I'd try to stay pre-1971, as in non MV, pine cab. No nonsense here.

Too big, too loud, too heavy for me, although I've tried to rationalize buying one for years... I love the clean, glassy, Fender sound which they have in spades. If I bought one it would reside in my basement which is overkill.

JPF

I played an outdoor concert last night through a '67 silverface TR provided by the sound and lighting company. It was fantastic as long as the volume was kept below 7 - above that it got raspy and flatulant in the low end. I imagine it was the speakers that has been trounced a few times too many. At any rate, it was a fun amp given how good it sounded miked up and through the FOH rig, even though it was raining like a mofo...

sixty2strat

80 or before depending on what you looking for and how you play. the 77-80 135 are loud as hell but a great pedal platform. The 100 and 85 seem more popular as the break up but at a loud volume then. None are better or worse just you budget and the job the need to do.

rongtr1

I own a "red knob" Twin, and its a great clean amp-Robben Ford used it for a clinic this past year.

kimock

Hey guys,

Been hankering for so some sweet Fender loving, and want to go secondhand. Which era Twin Reverbs are studs, which are duds?
If stud means "sounds good", you're looking for the lower power, lower voltage, 80 watt Blackface Twins, which is pre '68 or maybe '67.

There may not be an exact cut-off date, but you're looking for the lower power OT.

If stud means "holy **** that's a loud amp!!!", almost anything that said "Twin" on it anywhere after they went to Silverface will bury the Blackface.

I have one of each, and the high power Twin Reverb is a great keyboard amp, and maybe the right choice if you had to roll one amp out onto the stage to sit in for one tune with a dozen other loud guitarists.
For most responsible applications, the high power thing is just too much.

The earlier BF amp behaves more like a big Vibrolux, you can turn it up enough to get it working, it sounds right, and it's not deafening.

Anyway, the sweet one is the 80 watt, blackface.

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
I've had a '67, '71, '72, 73, and a '76. The '76 was the strongest sounding of them.

Top Bottom