• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Twist In Neck

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a used CS 65 Closet classic.It has a beautiful highly figured birdseye neck.The only problem is that the neck has a twist in it.The high E is straight as a arrow and the low E has a good amount of relief.I'm up in the air on if I should just buy a new neck or see about getting it fixed.

Any suggestions?

lewisanderson

I've had similar problems with the last three Fenders that I bought. One neck was twisted, one had an S-bend and the last one had a threaded truss rod nut. In all three cases I've sold them. the only problem with getting a Fender replacement neck, is that most of the time they are purchased unseen from ebay or forums, and could possibly have the same problem as your existing neck.

Last edited:

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like a Warmoth neck might be the ticket.I can get a neck with a 10" radius, SS frets, nut and finished for under $300.I thought about using a Fender logo but after the lack of help with my neck I'm not sure I wanna advertise for them.

Also my trust rod is acting weird.I had to turn it 3 1/2 turns to get just a little relief.

benjammin420

I thought about using a Fender logo but after the lack of help with my neck I'm not sure I wanna advertise for them.

Also my trust rod is acting weird.I had to turn it 3 1/2 turns to get just a little relief.
my truss rod was screwed up to, after months of fiddling i determined it was unfixable, brought it to the dealer. he said i "stripped the screw" on the truss rod which voided the warranty. when i get a replacement neck, no way in hell im putting fenders name on it

I bought a used CS 65 Closet classic.It has a beautiful highly figured birdseye neck.The only problem is that the neck has a twist in it.The high E is straight as a arrow and the low E has a good amount of relief.I'm up in the air on if I should just buy a new neck or see about getting it fixed.

Any suggestions?
If it is too late to rescind the sales transaction, I'd get in touch with Fender.
They tend to notice if there's a Custom Shop neck out there that isn't advertising positively for them.

I avoid riotously figured necks in favor of ones with plenty of character that are not "pure" enough looking for the aesthetes. When you're drilling neck holes and you can sense changes in density, you're getting close to the margins, IMO.

Easily the best folks to work with if you do decide to "Park" the stock neck and do your own is USACG. So long as you don't mind slightly reshaping the neck and then doing the coating yourself, which I very much insist on.

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
If it is too late to rescind the sales transaction, I'd get in touch with Fender.
They tend to notice if there's a Custom Shop neck out there that isn't advertising positively for them.

I avoid riotously figured necks in favor of ones with plenty of character that are not "pure" enough looking for the aesthetes. When you're drilling neck holes and you can sense changes in density, you're getting close to the margins, IMO.

Easily the best folks to work with if you do decide to "Park" the stock neck and do your own is USACG. So long as you don't mind slightly reshaping the neck and then doing the coating yourself, which I very much insist on.
Really?I contacted Fender twice and they didn't offer a solution.As a matter of fact they didn't seem to give a crap.I wish I had the number to the custom shop.

sqadan

I have heard that Fender is not allowing enough time for wood to cure these days. They are kiln drying the wood prior to cutting the necks to make up for it.... This makes for unstable necks.

I've had issues like this on 2 recent Fenders... One was a 52 reissue Tele with a totally plain neck that was twisted. - My tech could not do a thing with it. Replacement neck time.

Trending Topics