Two 1x12s or one 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teofilrocks, Jul 8, 2016.

1. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Looking to get matching cab(s) for my Mesa Mark V:25 head and I'm not sure which is the better route. Plugged into my Egnater Rebel 1x12 closed back, I like the sound, but the cab will go with the Rebel 30 head when I find a new home for it. It has a nice balanced sound to my ears, but is a bit directional. I don't need more volume, but I'd like a fuller feel.

I started looking at a Mesa wide body stack - closed back with a C90 on the floor for bottom end, and open back with a V30 for open mid-range. Some really like the open/closed stack combo. But I realized it'd be spending more than the awesome looking 2x12 vertical Recto cab with V30s.

Which gives a more room filling sound? Just having two speakers (in which case I'd go for the vertical 2x12)? Or having an open back cab in the mix? My only concern with just a single 1x12 open back is that bass tightness would disappear.

Thoughts welcome.

2. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

I was looking at the same thing with my Rectoverb 25. I have the 1x12 mini slanted cab. It sounds great and has plenty of bass. But everybody wants more of a good thing right? I tried the Mesa 2x12 cabs, vertical and horizontal in the store and they just open up the amp a lot more. More volume too. The vertical more so since the sound is not at your feet. Afterward I tried adding a 1x12 thiele with a c90. I liked it ok. Maybe it was the v30/c90 combination or how spread out the speakers are from each other but I liked my single 1x12 sound better. If I were you I would go vertical 2x12 with horizontal 2x12 a close second. There will be a vertical 2x12 in my future.

3. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

I'm switching between a TA-30 and Lonestar Special, both heads, driving two Mesa Transatlantic 23" 1x12 cabs.
    These cabs are essentially Lonestar cabs in slightly different clothes.
    I REALLY like having the two 1x12 cabs!
    I'm an open back guy--there is just a certain 'bloom' that I need. Having the two just gives you so much flexibility in terms of direction, room placement etc.
    Plus, I just love the look of a two cab stack!
    [​IMG]

johnrea_77, Lef T and 71strat like this.
  4. bubbagomez

bubbagomez Member

5. 71strat

71strat Member

I use 2 x 1 x 12s wih myMetro GMP45.

I also have 2 input jacks on each cab so I can daisy chain.

I eventually want 4 x 1 x 12.

The cabinets also have 3 piece backs, s I can run Semi Open.

The cabinets were originally made for Hemp Coned JBL E120s, and were made to the specs of the JBL Pro Enclosure Guide.

I used the JBLs for 2 years, and decided to try 2 Celestion Creams, so I took 1 off the back panels , and kept the ports open, as the E120 cab isn't a good match in ported fashion with the Cream.

I don't see them coming out for a while.

[​IMG]

6. teofilrocks

"Bloom" is the right word. I worry I won't get that from the vertical 2x12. I do prefer the look of the vertical slant over stacked 1x12s, though. In favor of the 1x12s, it's easier to just grab one and go for a lightweight option (also, I don't have a big vehicle). Plus there's the flexibility of running them with two heads in the future.

7. slybird

slybird Member

IMO, Two 1x12 > one 2x12.

8. aman74

aman74 Member

Those look nice. What model is that? Are they ported? They don't look like what Soldano has lists on their site currently.

9. logdrum

logdrum Member

I would suggest 2 1X12 cabs but I am actually enjoying my low powered but big cabinet 2x12. I also have a high powered but smaller 2 X 12 with 2 EVs - 100 watt Alnico and 200 watt ceramic. My 1x12s are also all EV's

10. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

The 2X12 will give you that. I like either a horizontal slant sitting on an 18" 'tote' or a vertical slant on the floor. Some have removable panels to use either as closed or open back.

11. teofilrocks

Though I don't have extensive experience with different cabs, I'd consider the Mesa vertical 2x12 a big low power cab - 2 V30s and the width of a Mesa wide body 1x12.

12. teofilrocks

That's one thing I wish the vertical Recto cab had, a removable panel behind the top speaker.

13. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I went down this road although not with Mesa gear. Prefer a 212 over 2 112s. However, I did think this was a cool looking setup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. logdrum

logdrum Member

Oh my big but low powered cab is an old SamAsh from the 70's or 80s is definitely low powered. It consists of 2 40-watt Eminence Alnicos. I used it for my ABY setup though. Here it is being fed by a THD Univalve and Mesa Heartbreaker. I made 1/3 open back. Honestly this sounds better with 2 of my compact Mesa 1X12 which are like 400 watts total.

15. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

Two 1x12s: when three trips back to the car isn't enough.

IM4Tone likes this.
  16. logdrum

logdrum Member

For the slant top is the speaker actually on an angle or straight? It seems too cramped to put a 12 inch on either the slant or vertical parts of the baffle.

17. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

My vote is both! :cool:

In all seriousness though, you'll really just have to try both setups to see what you like better as they definitely sound different and have different functions. I currently have 2 1x12s and am going to be building a 2x12 soon. I've found that with 2 1x12s, I almost never user both of them together. It's not super convenient to take 2 cabs with me when I gig, even though they are pretty small. Plus, unless the cabs are fairly deep (11" or more), they aren't very stable sitting on top of each other, especially with a head on top making the whole unit very top heavy.

I'm not getting rid of the 1x12s, I'm just adding a 2x12 and the 1x12s will be used for very small gigs where a 2x12 will be too loud and for recording.

18. teofilrocks

The Mesa cabs are pretty beefy. The open back is just over 11" deep, the closed back just under 13". Both weigh over 30lbs each, while my Mark V:25 head weighs 16lbs. So I'm not worried about stability with these.

Yea, it's possible that if I get both, at some point I'll find myself preferring one over the other. That's ok.

Having the option of only taking one is a plus, because the 2x12 vertical Recto weighs 75lbs!

19. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

Wow, those are some big 1x12s! Mine are much smaller than that.

Sound wise, it isn't so much that a 1x12 or 2 1x12s lack bass, my smallish 1x12s have plenty of bass for just about any situation. The problem for me is that the bass seems to get muddy and indistinct in a 1x12/2 1x12 configuration. I've also found that the 1x12/2 1x12 configuration lacks the thump of a 2x12.

If you're ok with the compromises of 2 1x12s and like the added flexibility, then 2 1x12s sounds like the right plan for you.

20. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Baffle is angled