Two 1x12s versus one 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Lo, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Dr. Lo

Dr. Lo Supporting Member

Has anyone ever compared these two set-ups using the same amp? What are the main differences in sound between running your amp through one 2x12 cab versus two 1x12 cabs (same speakers of course)?

2. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

it depends a lot on the particular enclosure, but generally the bigger 2x12 box should give you better bass response. two 1x12 cabs make the most sense if you're running a stereo rig.

3. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Not only a bigger bass, but richer mids and smoother highs. It will be louder on the same settings also. I made mine a diagonal 2x12, threw the speakers from my 1x12's in and haven't looked back.

4. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Not necessarily, I have ran both and currently run two one twelves and the bass I am getting is monstrous. My cabs are both semi open back. One is a Jensen Neo and the other is a Fane 12-30. This rig has better bass then my Gretsch Fury, Magnatone 460, 68 SR, 93 Vibro King or many other combos two twelve or others I have tried. I think the trick, at least a portion of it other than the amp, is having a large baffle board as in my speakers. Speakers and open/closed back too are a portion of it as well as materials. You could put two twelves staggered in them.

[​IMG]

5. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

end to agree w/ the first poster on preffering 2x12 cab better. Although , I also have a 1x12 combo w/ an ext cab 1x12 that sounds great.

6. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

yeah, bass response can typically be better with a 2x12.....but i think it depends largely on the cabinet construction, etc.

however, i'd far rather carry two 1x12's than a 2x12. and that counts for a lot these days.

cheers,
    wade