Two 1x12s w/ different speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CarlGuitarist, May 5, 2016.

1. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Sorry for potentially stupid question.

Are there any downsides to this, like phase issues? I have a Badger 35 and would like to expand with another 1x12.

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

-Just get a speaker that compliments or matches the other. That can be a challenge.
    -Your impedance will now mismatch with your amp.... unless you acquire two speakers that are twice the impedance of your amp output impedance.
    -Phasing is easy to figure out.

3. slybird

slybird Member

Mixing speakers for being in the room is great. The strength of one speaker can compliment the other. One side of 2x12 can be open and the other sealed. 12" and 10".

For recording it also give lots of options for capturing sound. Maybe the one speaker sounds better in the mix than the other.

For shows that are mic'd not as much greatness by mixing speakers. The sound person will probably only mic one speaker unless you play at larger clubs and stages. You will have to decide what speaker you want mic'd. You want to optimise the amp settings for that one speaker at the expense of the over-all sound you will experience. Or maybe you keep your normal amp settings and not worry about the mic'd sound going to the audience, they won't notice anyway.

EDIT: I ditched the mixed speaker setup because of the live show compromise. I loved the sound of the V30/Delta Pro combo, but when we did shows sound people seldom bothered mic'd up both cabs if asked.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    blackba likes this.
  4. Jonathan Byrnside

Jonathan Byrnside Member

There won't be phase issues, as long as they're wired correctly. Adding a second speaker is a great way to expand your tone. In general, you'll want to pick a speaker that has a similar efficiency, unless you don't mind one speaker being audibly louder than the other (Brad Paisley's and Alex Anthony's setups are this way, so it's not a steadfast rule). Also, make sure you get a speaker that has the same impedance as the speaker in your combo, and then you must adjust the output load accordingly. If you don't, you'll wear out your output transformer. Since the second speaker will be parallel to the first (rather than in series), your combined load will be half of the stated speaker impedance. That is, two 16~ in parallel = 8~, two 8~ in parallel = 4~, etc.

One of my favorite things to do is to mix two speakers of different magnets. If your combo has a ceramic speaker, consider adding an alnico or vice versa!

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Yep. A Weber Z-matcher will help you get the right ohms between two different ohm speakers.

6. stevel

stevel Member

This

7. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Great feedback, thanks fellows. Leaning towards just getting a matching cab if and when I do want to expand. It's plenty loud and nice sounding for me atm!

8. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Member

I am picking up my customized 1x12 cab to go with my 1x12 combo tomorrow AM. I am going to be putting a Jensen Blackbird in the extension to go with the Celestion Creamback M65 in the combo. I wanted to and some AlNiCo into the mix, so that seemed like a good starting place, however I am afraid this is going to send me on a neverending quest of speaker swaps!

CarlGuitarist likes this.
  9. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Haha yeah, that worries me a little as well. I'll stick to pedals!

10. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Member

I started to write more previously, but I think I misread your post. If you are going to play with two different types of speakers, here are the things I would look out for:

Impedance - the Badger can handle 16ohms, 8ohms or 4ohms (switchable), so if you add another 1x12, you should go with a 8ohm speaker (I am assuming your other speaker is also 8ohms), which when used together with your other cab will make 4ohms.

Sensitivity - the Sensitivity rating will tell you how loud the speaker will be perceived to sound. The rule of thumb is the sensitivity rating difference between the two speakers should be less thank 3dbs (as this is the difference that the human ear can typically hear), although some say they can hear a difference between speakers with a mismatch of more than 1db. Just because the sensitivities are mismatched doesn't mean the combination will sound bad, just that one speaker might overpower the other making the other speaker's personality take a back seat.

Other than that, the rest is up to what you want to hear as far as speaker choices go. Hope that helps.

11. blackba

blackba Member

I have two closed back 112s, one with a v30 and the other with a cl80. They work great on their own and mix well too. Big fan of mixing speakers. Sure you can typically only mic one at a live gig, but usually I can pick the one that best matches the gig, so it's not that tough of choice.

12. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

I added an oversize 1x12 cab to use with my oversize 1x12 combo and use two compact 1x12s with my lunchbox head. Different speakers in all of them. I use 8 ohm drivers and have a parallel/serial box so I can run off the 4 or 16 ohm taps. Each configuration brings a little something different to the party.
    1x12 combo, 8 ohms
    1x12 combo + 1x12 cab stack, 4 or 16 ohms
    1x12 combo + 1x12 cab side-by-side, 4 or 16 ohms