Two 2x12s vs One 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by berklee, Nov 17, 2005.

1. berklee

berklee Guest

Okay, next question...

In the band that I'll be playing with, we'll be doing rock stuff for anywhere from 300-1000 people per show.

At those gigs, we'll be using only a vocal PA - no guitar miking.

So far, my thought has been to go with two 2x12's - I figured I could keep the setup somewhat modular, and it would allow me to push the rig a little harder in smaller rooms by only using one cab.

Would I get better tone / response by using a 4x12 instead, opting for lower overall volume on the head?

Just figured I'd throw that out there, and ask the vets.

(for those who weren't in the previous convo, the head will be an EL34 Shiva)

2. p.snail

p.snail Member

I've had the same question myself. The only thing that concerns me is lack of bass response. A 2x12 just doesn't have the low end chug that a 4x12 cab has. I would love the convenience of 2 2x12 cabs, but don't know if they would have the same bass response. It poses the question "is it more the speaker that generates the thump or the size of the cab itself?" There is something to be said for having a well tuned cab, but most 2x12 are a little thin sounding to me. I also run my head a little unorthodox. Most people wouldn't run a Matchless Clubman through a 4x12, but that's were I'm at tonally right now. I played the Crate V series V212T with the Tone Tubby speakers in it, and it sounded really good. The bass response was really close to my 4x12, but still not quite there. Maybe 2 of those would give me the results I am looking for.

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

The Shiva loves a good 2x12, but roars with a 4x12.

I think it'd be smarter to get the standard Bogner 4x12...you will never hear a better cab for your head. The low end and the 3-D tone will just drip from the stage.

:)

4. Erik

Erik Member

I thought the same thing, until I bought an Earcandy Buzzbomb. It put my Recto 4x12 in storage...no joke. My other guitar player still uses a 4x12 and complains that my cab projects better, has a tighter bass, and much better "thump" than his 4x12. (He uses a Mesa Traditional 4x12)

5. p.snail

p.snail Member

Are the ear candy cabs expensive? Do they have anything with more of a retro voice to it? My 4x12 is the older Hughes & Kettner Triamp and has Greenbacks in it so it does have a vintage vibe, just with a ton of low end thud to it. I'll have to check the earcandy stuff out.

6. Erik

Erik Member

You could probably have one delivered to your door for under $500 (built to your exact specs) or get one used (like me) between $300~$400.

As for a retro voice...I don't hear that in my Buzzbomb..at all. You could email or call Tim at Earcandy and give him your request, he'd probably work within your parameters.

Oh, I dig the Buzzbomb so much that I was thinking about adding another 2x12, just for the sake of killing fleas with sledgehammers. ;)

7. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

My EarCandy BuzzBomb has a very vintage vibe, but with some modern tonal improvements (in my opinion) that are inherrent to Tim's design (tighter, more impactful bass that rivals or bests many 4x12's, much less 2x12s). Your choice of drivers, as well as wood has a large impact on how much vintage vibe you want to bring out in your tone. For example, a birch shell with a mahagony back panel and pine front is a nice choice for vintage tones, and combine that with appropriately voiced speakers like G12H30's or Greenbacks (or their variants), and it'll be quite vintagey. These are rock solid, huge sounding cabs... To be fair, because of the innovative/non-conventional design, I wouldn't say they're ever entirely vintage sounding, but you can certainly draw out that aspect of tonality.

As for the two 2x12 setup versus a 4x12, I like to run my Buzzbomb combination with my EarCandy Boa (open back 2x12) - that way I get the thump and focus of a 4x12, and the room filling ambience/air of an open back besides.

8. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

1000 peeps is a lot of peeps to get coverage on w/ no PA.
    i'd go w/ a 4X12 and stand to the side of it so U don't wreck Ur ears.

9. Erik

Erik Member

That's an awesome idea...

10. theHoss

theHoss Member

I would go with the two 2X12s. Get some better seperation, and if you aren't going to run monitors, you could put a cab on each side of the stage?

my $.02

11. muddy

muddy Member

i've got one of these comin' peachy:

[​IMG]

it's for my soultone revo 45 (jtm45). it's loaded with a coupla eminences that i'll pull & replace will pull & replace with 2 scumbacks.

ml

12. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

muddy, that's awesome man... the buzzbomb with scumbacks is effin' awesome! Which Scumbacks are you going with?

13. Roe

Roe Member

a 4x12" cab will give you a deeper bass resonanse (typically 120-150hz with a marshall cab) than two 2x12 cabs. Guitarists often like a lot of bass in the guitar sound, but bassists, drummers, producers, and sound men tend to prefer not so much deep bass from the guitar because it infers with the bass drum and bass guitar. This means that two 2x12 cabs might work best in a band situation. The 2x12 cab shouldn't be small however - you want to avoid a resonanse around 250hz.

I've recently changed from a marshall 1960a to a bogner OS 2x12 plus a mojo [aka germino] 2x12" myself. For me, and my band, it work better than the 4x12. On small gigs I only use one cab.

this has been covered before - see http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105053o

14. muddy

muddy Member

sa12m-75/h-75.:cool:

ml

15. Shawn Lutz

Shawn Lutz Member

Its 4 x12's for me, always been that way, regardless of venue size. I have four 4x12's and use 1/2 stack configs

16. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

I tried that but in the end I think I prefer a closed back 4x12. I used one open back and one closed back Top Hat 2x12 together. Sounded OK but the only reason I could see for doing it is portabilty, which is not an issue for me. I do not gig and usually only play at home so size and weight aren't a problem.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, I'm using the perfect match for a Shiva right now and it is not a 4x12...

[​IMG]

Pete

PS My Top Hat cabs are for sale

:)

17. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

what the heck???
    U don't gig and U got all that cool gear?
    the only person that i know that has loads of gear and doesn't gig is the fella i buy my dru.....
    never mind.